Re: [new_distillers] Re-Distilling

  • fatbloke
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2013
      My first still was a little 4 litre air still. I had some cloudy spirit that was 80% ABV.

      What I didnt know at the time was about using boiling stones or even broken glass to break up any larger bubbles.

      I saw that there was liquid on the kitchen surface and as I leaned over to kill the power, the still "burped" again.

      Thank god for the pbysical properties of alcohol, losing heat rapidly as it flys through the air. So only a "sunburn scald".

      Not the best way to learn about boiling stones/boil enhancers.......

      Luckily no harm done except the school of hard knocks......

      Ken Martin <ken2145@...> wrote:

      I have heard 50 percent ABV or higher in your boiler can cause an explosion. I never re-distill at higher the 80 proof in the can for safety. Ken

      On May 13, 2013, at 9:21 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

      Never heard that. I just let my spirit down to 40% or less before redistilling.

      allibugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

      I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2013
        Alli,

        The reason many (or most) potstillers try for a wash ABV of 27-29%, is
        so that still output begins at ABV close to where you would collect
        hearts. This means more flavor in the distillate.

        ZBob on the road

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" wrote:

        > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that
        when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for
        a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why
        not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

      • local yokel
        Message 3 of 11 , May 15, 2013
          there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at. adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
          ,

          Message 4 of 11 , May 15, 2013
            Thanks for picking this one up, yokel, and you're right, of course.

            Sometimes I can't get to my computer for a while.

            ZBob on the road in San Jose
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "local yokel" wrote:

            > there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected
            abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts
            made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try
            to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal
            collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at.
            adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
            > ,
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" allibugger@ wrote:
            > >
            > > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that
            when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for
            a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why
            not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

          • John Schaerer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2013
              This gave me a good explination of what you were talking about.

              I nearly had heart failure at the thought of my wholr rig exploding into nothing when I refined my high wine

              How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation

              Sean Lancaster
              Sean Lancaster has been a freelance writer since 2007. He has written for Writers Research Group, Alexis Writing and the Lebanon Chamber of Commerce. Lancaster holds a Doctor of Philosophy in chemistry from the University of Washington.
              By Sean Lancaster, eHow Contributor
              How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation thumbnail Learn about the use of boiling stones when bringing liquids to boil.
              Many chemical reactions require evaporation upon completion for the recovery of the reaction products. One drawback to evaporating solvents is the chance of supercritical heating of the solvent causing the liquid to bump. Bumping occurs when the solution is ready to boil but is unable due to the lack of seed bubbles. Seed bubbles are very small air bubbles that grow in size until they are able to break free and rise to the surface. Boiling stones, also known as boiling chips or boiling points, provide sites for the formation of seed bubbles to allow for the smooth boiling of solvents.

              Other People Are Reading