Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

  • jsutton_co
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2013
      Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

      Initial external cleaning to prepare COPPER PORN:

      What's the best cleaner you've used or heard being used?

      I've heard:
      1) citric acid
      2) colleague at work cleans gun brass and the solution is DAWN + citric acid based product.
      3) CLR Cleaner for the bathroom
      4) Hot backset seems to be mentioned several times (but my interest is to clean before first use).
    • jsutton_co
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2013
        My research found:

        Clear Protective Coatings for Copper and Copper Alloys, Publication TN41, 1991

        http://www.corrosionist.com/pub-41-clear-protective-coatings-for-copper.pdf

        Recommends a product called INCRALAC which is a product that provides a non-dulling formulated protective coating with the addition of benzotriazole as a corrosion inhibitor.

        "The International Copper Association has funded the development of coatings specially formulated for use on copper and its alloys. This work has resulted in a number of recommendations but the only
        coating available commercially as a direct result of this work is "Incralac". "Incralac" is a solvent-based, air drying acrylic resin coating which can be applied by any of the methods commonly used for solvent-based coatings. It contains an addition of benzotriazole which acts as a most effective corrosion inhibitor ensuring that the underlying metal will not tarnish even where the film is damaged. It has a high clarity and is resistant to degradation by ultra-violet light."

        Talasonline.com had the best prices I could find in 30 minutes of GOOGLING and a huge variety of related products, ie., cleaners, polish, rags, etc.

        They carry INCRALAC in several forms (water based, solvent based, aerosol can,):

        http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_search.cfm?ClientID=15&SearchType=Keyword&SearchField=incralac&x=-410&y=-27