RE: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

  • ben marks
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2013
      well for me a small barrel was kind of a wast of money in my option there are a few issues with them that kind of make them not so much good using  i have a 10 l one that looks real cook and sure is fun to watch the eyes light up when ur friends see you pore out a glass but... the sq inches of oak exposed to ur stuff is way way way off what u might think wile a 50 gallon barrel can sit for 20 years without over oaking  i got the same oak flavor as say a good comparably available sour mash whisky like "jack" in about 2 mo and the angles share was about 20% of what i put in way to high as the staves cant be as thick as a real barrel i put water in it to see how long it would take to go dry it took 8.5 mo till there was les then 1 L left so the barrel looks real cool sitting on a shelf  i dont use it any more i use oak chips or cubes  from the brew store u can get them ether toasted or not and u can toast them in ur oven if u want more toast to them and i the run my propane over them to finish the char then soak them in what ever ur soaking till it taste right to you  i use a 3 gal glass carboy
      i also keep a qt jar packed full with chips and soaking in what i am soaking them in put it on a back shelf for a few months and u will have oak extract and u can add about a ounce to a qt of clear stuff  or to taste ...ben

      ________________________________

        Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

      ______________________

      Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
      Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
      Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
      . Your Shirt is Mexican.
      Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

      Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
      Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

      _________________________

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: i_brew_spirits@...
      Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:57 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

      I have a reflux still and have been brewing for some years making vodka based spirits using brewcraft products.
      I would like to get hold of a barrel say 10lt and wishing to know what i should be looking for???

      Should i get a fresh one(new) or be looking for one that has had port or something like that in it???

      My plan is to get a batch of 40-45% mixed with a little flavour(50% diluted than normal)and age that in a barrel over time, may need to hide it from ones self!!

      I do like my scotch and normally drink the green label brewcraft scotch brand..

      any help would be great!!

      chris....

    • ACE2
      Message 2 of 12 , May 10, 2013
        I understand that a smaller barrel will not perform as good as a large one.
        But my main question still is what second hand barrel would be best??
        One that has had port or something..
        I can really only fit a 10lt in my bar, will be for looks mainly.
        I have done the wood chips in the bottle before, but really after something to age for many months..

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, ben marks <nebskram@...> wrote:

        > well for me a small barrel was kind of a wast of money in my option there are a few issues with them that kind of make them not so much good using i have a 10 l one that looks real cook and sure is fun to watch the eyes light up when ur friends see you pore out a glass but... the sq inches of oak exposed to ur stuff is way way way off what u might think wile a 50 gallon barrel can sit for 20 years without over oaking i got the same oak flavor as say a good comparably available sour mash whisky like "jack" in about 2 mo and the angles share was about 20% of what i put in way to high as the staves cant be as thick as a real barrel i put water in it to see how long it would take to go dry it took 8.5 mo till there was les then 1 L left so the barrel looks real cool sitting on a shelf i dont use it any more i use oak chips or cubes from the brew store u can get them ether toasted or not and u can toast them in ur oven if u want more toast to them and i the run my propane over them to finish the char then soak them in what ever ur soaking till it taste right to you i use a 3 gal glass carboyi also keep a qt jar packed full with chips and soaking in what i am soaking them in put it on a back shelf for a few months and u will have oak extract and u can add about a ounce to a qt of clear stuff or to taste ...ben
        >

        > ________________________________
        >
        > Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up
        > ______________________
        >
        > Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
        > Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
        > Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese. Your Shirt is Mexican.
        > Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers are
        > Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
        > Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?
        > _________________________
        >
        > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: i_brew_spirits@...
        > Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:57 +0000
        > Subject: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

        > I have a reflux still and have been brewing for some years making vodka based spirits using brewcraft products.
        >
        > I would like to get hold of a barrel say 10lt and wishing to know what i should be looking for???
        >

        > Should i get a fresh one(new) or be looking for one that has had port or something like that in it???
        >

        > My plan is to get a batch of 40-45% mixed with a little flavour(50% diluted than normal)and age that in a barrel over time, may need to hide it from ones self!!
        >

        > I do like my scotch and normally drink the green label brewcraft scotch brand..
        >

        > any help would be great!!
        >

        > chris....

      • Brendan Keith
        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2013
          Message
          Consider oak chunks or blocks in a glass gallon jar for long term aging.

          --

          bk

> [...]

          > Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?
          > _________________________
          >
          > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: i_brew_spirits@...
          > Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:57 +0000
          > Subject: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

          > I have a reflux still and have been brewing for some years making vodka based spirits using brewcraft products.
          >
          > I would like to get hold of a barrel say 10lt and wishing to know what i should be looking for???
          >

          > Should i get a fresh one(new) or be looking for one that has had port or something like that in it???
          >

          > My plan is to get a batch of 40-45% mixed with a little flavour(50% diluted than normal)and age that in a barrel over time, may need to hide it from ones self!!
          >

          > I do like my scotch and normally drink the green label brewcraft scotch brand..

        • ACE2
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2013
            i know that is the best way to go, guess i wish to have a show piece in my bar and a barrel would look the part, not expecting to get a wicket flavour from it, as i'll be adding my own flavour to start with anyway, really just use the barrel to take the edge off(mellow it down) a bit.........

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:

            > Consider oak chunks or blocks in a glass gallon jar for long term aging.
            >
            > --
            >
            > bk

          • Blackhat-Whitedog
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11, 2013
              American Distillers (a facebook page) had an article on Cleveland distillery who ages bourbon in...one week. they have a secret process which entails high pressure.

              the aging process seems to have a couple things going on. just sitting around the various chems seem to combine and mellow out (even moonshine should sit for at least 30 days) and/or some of the lighter and perhaps more noxious estars evapourate or leach out.

              the other is the infusion of the charred wood. this flavor is effected by the ratio of liquid to surface area of wood which is why smaller barrels age faster than smaller. also external weather is supposed to have some effect. freezing and heat seems to move the liquor into the wood and pulls it out/leaches out flavor componnets out of the wood.

              some have said that moving barrels into freezers and setting out in the sun helps this along. another idea is movement, frequent turning of the barrels. I thought an ideal storage place would be a boat in an ocean harbor where it rocks with the tide.

              I'm intrigued by the pressure idea. My first thought, using a pressure cooker sounds dangerous. maybe using a reticulated plastic jug (yeah plastic) with a lot of weight on it till it bulged. of course this means just charred chips and not a barrel.

              > guess i wish to have a show piece in my bar and a barrel
              > would look the part, not expecting to get a wicket flavour
              > from it, as i'll be adding my own flavour to start with
              > anyway, really just use the barrel to take the edge
              > off(mellow it down) a bit.........
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
              > Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Consider oak chunks or blocks in a glass gallon jar for
              > long term aging.
              > >
              > > --
              > >
              > > bk

            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                I agree with Blackhat, and will toss this in: On the Artisan Distiller forum, there has been some experimentation with another heat/pressure cycling aging method. It involves placing your oak (so far I've only used aok sticks cut/split from whisky barrels) in a proper canning jar, filled (maybe 80-90% full) with your green spirit, with cap and ring removed so no metal for arcing is present, and placing that jar in a microwave oven. Heat to ~150F, remove, and screw on the lid and ring tightly enough so you get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

                I let the jar stand overnight before breaking the vacuum and tasting. If necessary, do another iteration. In my small experience with this, 3 times may always be too much, but that's not certain, and depends on your oak.

                It's amazin g how fast this process oaks/ages the spirit, and when I took a bottle of a twice-cycled, distilled unpleasant mead to a group of old whisky-sippers, they loved it.

                Just my two cents.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                  Blackhat, When storing moonshine for 30 days or so as noted below, what do you recommend covering the storage containers with to keep out the dust and bugs? Cheeze cloth or a couple of layers of paper towels are all I can think of. Thanks. Alli

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Blackhat-Whitedog <blkhatwhtdog@...> wrote:

                  > American Distillers (a facebook page) had an article on Cleveland distillery who ages bourbon in...one week. they have a secret process which entails high pressure.
                  >
                  > the aging process seems to have a couple things going on. just sitting around the various chems seem to combine and mellow out (even moonshine should sit for at least 30 days) and/or some of the lighter and perhaps more noxious estars evapourate or leach out.
                  >
                  > the other is the infusion of the charred wood. this flavor is effected by the ratio of liquid to surface area of wood which is why smaller barrels age faster than smaller. also external weather is supposed to have some effect. freezing and heat seems to move the liquor into the wood and pulls it out/leaches out flavor componnets out of the wood.
                  >
                  > some have said that moving barrels into freezers and setting out in the sun helps this along. another idea is movement, frequent turning of the barrels. I thought an ideal storage place would be a boat in an ocean harbor where it rocks with the tide.
                  >
                  > I'm intrigued by the pressure idea. My first thought, using a pressure cooker sounds dangerous. maybe using a reticulated plastic jug (yeah plastic) with a lot of weight on it till it bulged. of course this means just charred chips and not a barrel.

                • jsducote
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 14, 2013
                    Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green" spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or similar wine preservation kit? This would eliminate having to carefully handle a hot glass jar.

                    For those unfamiliar, VacuVin is a bottle-sized rubber stopper with an embedded one-way air valve. A small hand held pump is used to suck air out of the bottle through the stopper. The theory being that air in an unfinished bottle of wine will spoil it faster. A basic kit with 3 stoppers and the pump typically runs $10-15.
                    Example- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40520735
                    -j

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                    ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.
                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 14, 2013
                      I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
                      when the wood itself is heated.

                      ZBob on the road

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                        Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the sole purpose of the process you described was to vacuum-seal the jar. Like using a vacuum to accelerate marinading meat. Still, the wood could be heated separately before putting it in the bottle and pumping it down. I think you can get more of a vacuum this way (assuming it matters) and with a different stopper you could alternate between pumping air in and sucking it out, simulating naturally varying barometric pressure on the outside of a wooden keg over time in storage (again, assuming it matters).

                        I seem to have a large number of empty wine bottles lying around (don't remember emptying them!) and was just thinking of ways to reuse them.
                        -j

                        > I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
                        > when the wood itself is heated.
                        >
                        > ZBob on the road
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green"
                        > spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak
                        > strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or
                        > similar wine preservation kit?
                        > > -j
                        > >
                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble zymurgybob@
                        > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

                      • gravelier007
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 24, 2013
                          Chris:

                          There is a whole discussion in Brewhaus Forum on aging and how it can be done without barrels and in pretty short time. I bought some medium toasted oak chips from Brewhaus and aged some squeezin's in about a week. Took a bottle to a cook out and people couldn't believe that it could work so fast. But it does. It is all based on surface area and volume of product. I got some pretty good compliments on the run. There are easier ways, that is, unless you really want a barrel.