Re: [new_distillers] Total Newbie here

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8 7:23 AM
      First off Jeff, thats too much sugar, use only a pound to gallon of water, the yeast will not be able to convert two pounds before it dies, too much alcohol.  Secondly don't use turbo yeast, you'll get a bad taste off it and will NOT be able to filter it out, third, open you bucket up throw the air lock away and leave the mix to the air.  cover it with a towel, the yeast needs oxygen to live and work.  There are lots of opinions on this, but expeience has taught me, leave it open.  Did you put a little yeast nutrients in the mix?  It needs a little dap or yeast nutrients.  For yeast I always use lavin ec1118, its wine yeast, finishes nice, no after taste and produces good product...hope this helps, its just my opinion.   Jim

      Message 2 of 10 , May 8 12:54 PM
        you may have been sleeping with it all happened or you killed the yeast. Also some buckets do not seal well and you will not see much happen on the air lock. If you feel froggy open the lid and see if there is a larger mass of yeast than you throw in.

        --
        US Navy - 100% on watch
      • Jeffrey Embry
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8 1:20 PM
          Ric,

          Thanks.  I have decided to be patient.  Have a lite odor of yeast where I am storing it, which I hope is good.

          Jeff

          On Wednesday, May 8, 2013, Ric Cunningham wrote:

[...]

          Jeff Embry, K3OQ
          FM19nb
          ARCI #11643, FPQRP #-696,
          QRP-L # 67, NAQCC #25, ARS #1733
          AMSAT LM-2263

          --
          Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.  - Sir Winston Churchill

        • local yokel
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9 6:52 AM
            I don't see a reference to tempature in your post. The yeast packet will have maximum pitching temp and suggested fermenting temp. Both are important to monitor. If it's too cool things will happen very slowly or not at all. Most yeasts will take off fairly well at 75 to 80F. You can shine a strong flashlight beam into the wash and you should see some movement of bubbles. If not you will probably need give us the exact procedure and ingredients you used so we can help you troubleshoot why it's not going.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Embry <jeffrey.embry@...> wrote:

            > Good Morning,
            >
            > Perhaps I am being a bit impatient, but have a question. Last night I
            > started my first batch of wash. For 2 gallons of wash I used water, 4 lbs
            > sugar and threw in a can of frozen welches grape juice (concentrate). Put
            > in a packet of turbo yeast. Sealed the bucket and put the air lock on.
            >
            > This morning I noticed no apparent activity. So my question is how long
            > should I wait befor seeing something happening?
            >
            > I am extremely new to this, and don't have high expectations from my first
            > batch...but have the time to learn.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jeff

          • Jeffrey Embry
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9 6:56 AM
              Thanks,

              I will do that when I get home this evening.  I think the temp in the room is around is around 75 degreesbut haven't looked at the thrermometer.  I do have a fairly strong flashlight...so we shall see.  I am not opposed to learning from failure.

              Jeff

              --
              Jeff Embry, K3OQ
              FM19nb

              --
              Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.  - Sir Winston Churchill
            • David Eastham
              Message 6 of 10 , May 9 11:36 AM
                Just hope the grape juice concentrate didnt have any preservatives in it as these could also kill your yeast. You only need sugar with turbos, nothing else.
                Dave E
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Embry <jeffrey.embry@...> wrote:

                > Good Morning,
                >
                > Perhaps I am being a bit impatient, but have a question. Last night I
                > started my first batch of wash. For 2 gallons of wash I used water, 4 lbs
                > sugar and threw in a can of frozen welches grape juice (concentrate). Put
                > in a packet of turbo yeast. Sealed the bucket and put the air lock on.
                >
                > This morning I noticed no apparent activity. So my question is how long
                > should I wait befor seeing something happening?
                >
                > I am extremely new to this, and don't have high expectations from my first
                > batch...but have the time to learn.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jeff

              • Bob Glicksman
                Message 7 of 10 , May 9 4:43 PM
                  Jeff,

                  Here are couple of additional tips:

                  1.  Thoroughly clean and sterilize your equipment before making your wash and pitching your yeast.  Bacterial infection can cause the yeast to die before they take hold.

                  2.  I always prepare a "yeast starter", a few hours ahead of main fermentation, as follows:  put 1/2 cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup and boil it in the microwave.  Stir in 2 tblsp of table sugar until completely dissolved and leave it to cool down to the temperature that the yeast provider specifies for rehydrating the yeast.  Add the yeast and stir well.  Cover loosely with wax paper and give a good stir every 15 minutes or so for 1 - 2 hours.  At this time, the sugar-water should be very cloudy with a nice head of foam at the top (this indicates that you have very healthy and robust rehydrated yeast).  When your big sugar-water wash is ready, add the yeast starter to it.  I have made many batches of wine and fuel ethanol from waste material this way and I have never had a failure of the main fermentation. Very occasionally, the yeast starter will fail -- so I just mix up another batch without compromising the wash.

                  3.  When pitching the yeast or yeast starter, stir really well.  Loosely cover the fermentation vessel (no airlock yet) and give another good stir after 1 - 2 hours.  At this point, you should see a lot of foaming action from the yeast.  Now install the tightly fitting cover with the airlock for the main fermentation.

                  4.  Make sure that you have LOTS of headroom in your main fermenter, as this procedure will more likely than not create very robust fermentation, with lots of foaming action.  Too little headroom and it will foam right out of the bucket/airlock and make a big mess (yes, I've had this happen to me too - with plum juice, no less!).

                  Yeast has a complex lifecycle.  When yeast can feed on sugar in an oxygenated environment (aerobically), the yeast will reproduce wildly.  When the oxygen is depleted, the yeast will stop reproducing and make lots of alcohol.  The point of these tips is to get the yeast propagating aerobically so that it is strong and healthy and well acclimated to the wash prior to main fermentation.

                  One last tip:  make sure that the yeast is turboyeast if you are using a sugar-water wash, unadulterated.  Turboyeast contains important yeast nutrients that are not found in plain old table sugar.  Turboyeast is also bred for the relatively neutral pH of sugar-water.  If you use wine yeast, brewers yeast, or even distillers yeast, you may need to add DAP nutrient to the wash and perhaps even a little acid (citric or otherwise) to lower the pH to make the yeast happier.

                  Good luck,
                  Bob

                  --
                  Jeff Embry, K3OQ
                  FM19nb

                    --
                    Jeff Embry, K3OQ
                    FM19nb

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 15 6:02 PM
                      Okay folks...got my first run through the air still today.  The fermentation seemed to go so-so.  The output after distillation did have a yeasty odor.  It is running through the filter now.  Don't know for certain, but I suspect I will just have to start over.

                      Anyhow, I will include ideas presented here on my next run.

                      Thanks to all that helped.

                      Jeff

                      On Wednesday, May 8, 2013, Jim Graves wrote:

[...]

                      WWWDWOA?
                      (What Would We Do Without Acronyms?)