Re: [new_distillers] newb question on flavor

  • William Sky
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 1:17 PM
      I was actually wondering the same thing.. so as it seems I refluxed mine correctly then.. no real taste.. but damn its a hot mouthful will burn you up...

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

      They will have no taste at all, there is nothing to flavor them.  Sugar gives very little taste at all.  If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!  Great for using essences to make your own!  Cheers.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 4:30 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

        > Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
        > Dave E
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
        > >
        > > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
        > >
        > > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > > Marc
        > >

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

        Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question! Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by a "hot" taste?
      • jsducote
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 6:56 AM
          All the words in the world are no substitute for 1st hand experience. Perhaps go buy a small bottle of 190 proof spirit (e.g. Everclear) for less than $10. It has no taste other than the burn.