Re: [new_distillers] newb question on flavor

  • William Sky
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2013
      I was actually wondering the same thing.. so as it seems I refluxed mine correctly then.. no real taste.. but damn its a hot mouthful will burn you up...

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

      They will have no taste at all, there is nothing to flavor them.  Sugar gives very little taste at all.  If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!  Great for using essences to make your own!  Cheers.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2013
        Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
        Dave E

        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2013
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

          > Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
          > Dave E
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
          > >
          > > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
          > >
          > > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
          > >
          > > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > > Marc
          > >

          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

          Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question! Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by a "hot" taste?
        • allibugger
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2013
            I asked myself this question many times when I first started distilling. Even the middle cuts of the first run of 95%+/- abv from a reflux still is going to bite, but if you cut the middle cuts down to 40%/50% abv there will be a significant difference - you should get virtually no smell and very little taste (nothing like the bit of the 95% stuff. It took me a while to figure this out because I was expecting the high octane stuff to taste like water. My best results with a reflux still is to run a batch at least 3 times, maybe even 4.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

            > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
            >
            > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
            >
            > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
            >
            > Cheers
            > Marc
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

          • jsducote
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              All the words in the world are no substitute for 1st hand experience. Perhaps go buy a small bottle of 190 proof spirit (e.g. Everclear) for less than $10. It has no taste other than the burn.