Re: [new_distillers] newb question on flavor

  • William Sky
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 1:17 PM
      I was actually wondering the same thing.. so as it seems I refluxed mine correctly then.. no real taste.. but damn its a hot mouthful will burn you up...

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

      They will have no taste at all, there is nothing to flavor them.  Sugar gives very little taste at all.  If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!  Great for using essences to make your own!  Cheers.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 4:36 AM
        "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"

        Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"

        And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit

        Cheers
        Marc

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@...> wrote:

        > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

      • David Eastham
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 12:33 PM
          Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
          Dave E

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
          >
          > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
          >
          > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7 4:30 PM
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

            > Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
            > Dave E
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
            > >
            > > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
            > >
            > > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Marc
            > >

            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

            Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question! Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by a "hot" taste?
          • allibugger
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 7:16 PM
              I asked myself this question many times when I first started distilling. Even the middle cuts of the first run of 95%+/- abv from a reflux still is going to bite, but if you cut the middle cuts down to 40%/50% abv there will be a significant difference - you should get virtually no smell and very little taste (nothing like the bit of the 95% stuff. It took me a while to figure this out because I was expecting the high octane stuff to taste like water. My best results with a reflux still is to run a batch at least 3 times, maybe even 4.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

              > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
              >
              > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
              >
              > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
              >
              > Cheers
              > Marc
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

            • jsducote
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8 6:56 AM
                All the words in the world are no substitute for 1st hand experience. Perhaps go buy a small bottle of 190 proof spirit (e.g. Everclear) for less than $10. It has no taste other than the burn.