Re: [new_distillers] newb question on flavor

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 7:13 AM
      They will have no taste at all, there is nothing to flavor them.  Sugar gives very little taste at all.  If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!  Great for using essences to make your own!  Cheers.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 1:17 PM
        I was actually wondering the same thing.. so as it seems I refluxed mine correctly then.. no real taste.. but damn its a hot mouthful will burn you up...

        On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

        They will have no taste at all, there is nothing to flavor them.  Sugar gives very little taste at all.  If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!  Great for using essences to make your own!  Cheers.

        I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

      • mav
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 4:25 AM
          Hi David, like Jimbull34 said, a proprerly fermented sugar wash will have little flavour apart from a cider like flavour as a fermented wash.

          If the cuts is your concern just collect you spirit run in small bottles like 375 ml beer bottles until the end of the of the run or tails. Test the abv on each bottle and record that then dilute a portion of each bottle 40% and tast test it.

          Cheers
          Marc

          Message 4 of 9 , May 7 4:36 AM
            "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"

            Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"

            And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit

            Cheers
            Marc

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@...> wrote:

            > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

          • David Eastham
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 12:33 PM
              Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
              Dave E

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

              > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
              >
              > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
              >
              > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
              >
              > Cheers
              > Marc
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

            • David
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 4:30 PM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

                > Slightly sweet and hot, no need to spit it out, whereas if you get some tails your first instinct is to spit it out!! Leave a small amount in a wide necked glass and let it evaporate. There should be no smell left behind in the glass.
                > Dave E
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
                > >
                > > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
                > >
                > > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
                > >
                > > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Marc
                > >

                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

                Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question! Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by a "hot" taste?
              • allibugger
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7 7:16 PM
                  I asked myself this question many times when I first started distilling. Even the middle cuts of the first run of 95%+/- abv from a reflux still is going to bite, but if you cut the middle cuts down to 40%/50% abv there will be a significant difference - you should get virtually no smell and very little taste (nothing like the bit of the 95% stuff. It took me a while to figure this out because I was expecting the high octane stuff to taste like water. My best results with a reflux still is to run a batch at least 3 times, maybe even 4.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                  > "My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?"
                  >
                  > Just what jimbull34 said, "If you reflux right, it'll just be a hot mouth full!"
                  >
                  > And I agree, neutral grain spirit is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_grain_spirit
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Marc
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <luv2duckhunt88@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have been reading extensively to build my knowledge before my first run with my reflux still. My goal is a neutral spirit that can be flavored using a sugar wash. I have the recipe for that one. My question is what will a good run taste like if the cuts are done properly with a neutral recipe?

                • jsducote
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8 6:56 AM
                    All the words in the world are no substitute for 1st hand experience. Perhaps go buy a small bottle of 190 proof spirit (e.g. Everclear) for less than $10. It has no taste other than the burn.