Re: [new_distillers] How do u keep it in the bucket

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 10:16 AM
      Simple, for a 5 gallon batch, use a 10 gallon bucket.  Its going to foam a little, tells you that you got good yeast and every thing is right... Jim

      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 10:38 AM
        Foaming is normal - it is due to CO2 released during fermentation - particularly at the beginning when fermentation is most active.  You accommodate foaming by leaving headroom in the bucket so that it doesn't overflow (or else you resign yourself to cleaning up the mess :-).

        I made a new mash last night. Kept the lid off and laud a towel over the top of the bucket. I got a phone call that my mash started to foam and foamed over the edge of the bucket. Is this normal?? How do u guys keep it in??

      • local yokel
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 7:42 AM
          to paraphrase: "You're gonna need a bigger bucket" I use same guideline as boiler charge, only use 3/4 of capacity, makes life much simplier.