How do u keep it in the bucket

  • et_couldry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      I made a new mash last night. Kept the lid off and laud a towel over the top of the bucket. I got a phone call that my mash started to foam and foamed over the edge of the bucket. Is this normal?? How do u guys keep it in??
    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2013
        Simple, for a 5 gallon batch, use a 10 gallon bucket.  Its going to foam a little, tells you that you got good yeast and every thing is right... Jim

        I made a new mash last night. Kept the lid off and laud a towel over the top of the bucket. I got a phone call that my mash started to foam and foamed over the edge of the bucket. Is this normal?? How do u guys keep it in??

      • Bob Glicksman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2013
          Foaming is normal - it is due to CO2 released during fermentation - particularly at the beginning when fermentation is most active.  You accommodate foaming by leaving headroom in the bucket so that it doesn't overflow (or else you resign yourself to cleaning up the mess :-).

          I made a new mash last night. Kept the lid off and laud a towel over the top of the bucket. I got a phone call that my mash started to foam and foamed over the edge of the bucket. Is this normal?? How do u guys keep it in??

        • local yokel
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2013
            to paraphrase: "You're gonna need a bigger bucket" I use same guideline as boiler charge, only use 3/4 of capacity, makes life much simplier.