Re: Post Fermentation Specific Gravity

  • jsducote
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2013
      http://homedistiller.org/calcs/alcohol_content

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" <allibugger@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Ric. My question was not very well asked and for that I apologise. How do I calculate the %ABV in a suger wash with a .95 SP?
      >
      > Alli
    • Chris Cameron
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2013
        Use "Dave's dreaded actual specific gravity calculator" It's here on the site somewhere

        On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:12 AM, allibugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

        I have a copy of ZB's chart on pre-fermentation wort SG and the recommended yeasts at each level at SG going from 1.00 to 1.65. What about post fermentation SG. I am getting a reading of .95 on my hydrameter after all fermentation stops in my sugar water mash. Is there a chart for this? Will it vary depending on the type of mash?

        Thanks for insight. Alli

      • Bob Glicksman
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2013
          Note, though, that if you had only a sugar and water solution, SG would measure the sugar content pre-fermentation (therefore you can estimate the alcohol content after fermentation).  After fermentation, the SG of ethanol is around 0.985 and distilled water is, by definition, 1.000, so you can calculate your actual ethanol content if the sugar is fully converted during fermentation.  Outside of sugar-water, and for grains in particular, SG before fermentation gives you a reasonable, but not precise, estimate of sugar (therefore, potential alcohol) but post fermentation SG will be higher than the alcohol/water content because other dissolved substances will impact the reading.  SG is a measure of density of a solution, and does not discriminate between substances which create the same density ("thickness").

          Thus, for starchy feedstock, post fermentation SG is not a good measure of either how complete fermentation is nor the actual alcohol yield.  For that matter, even fruity feedstock has this problem -- winemakers do not measure post fermentation SG (they have something called a Vintometer for this purpose).  After distillation, most of the dissolved material will be left behind and the high proof product can be measured with an alcohol hydrometer to determine proof reasonably well.  Note that an alcohol hydrometer and a sugar (or triple scale) hydrometer are two different instruments.  They both work the same way (measure SG), but the scales are completely different.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2013
            or the full calculation is at this wiki site:

            You must know your starting gravity

            --
            US Navy - 100% on watch
          • allibugger
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2013
              Thanks Ric. I had a brain fart and forgot about the formula. I have it taped on the wall in my garage now so I won't forget it again. Alli