calvados

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hello All,
      George791 came across this url, depicting a modern itinerant calvados
      distiller's set-up.

      http://jos.home.cern.ch/jos/calvados.htm
    • gerry g
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2002
        --- waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:
        > See:

        > A useful site to find distilling information from
        > the Distillers List
        > (public) is http://archive.nnytech.net/
        > Wal
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen
        > <vandermeulen@n...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hello All,
        > > with the onset of summer and the expectation of
        > autumn not far
        > behind, I
        > > can already imagine the very large crates with
        > tons of new apples
        > at the
        > > roadside stands. So it is not too early to think
        > of trying for
        > calvados
        > > one more time.
        > > Is there any wisdom out there re: Calvados? I
        > just searched the
        > > group.distillers list and really did not find
        > anything particular or
        > > technical except a Mar.21,2000 posting by Rob van
        > Leuven/Holland.
        > > As I understand the process: crush/mash the apples
        > - add sugar if
        > necessary
        > > - ferment - distill slowly.
        > > There is little else that I can find. However, is
        > that it?
        > Ferment the
        > > juice or on the pulp? Pot-still or reflux?
        > Distillation cut-off
        > temps?
        > > Age?
        > > John V

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • marquee.moon
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 13, 2006
          This autumn, I'm intending to make apple brandy.

          My cider is made from approximately 60% cooking apples, 40% eating.
          Both are old Northern English varieties, don't know what type. All
          are windfalls that have been collected and left to stand until a few
          are starting to rot slightly (these are removed and the rest are
          used). They're passed through the food processor to create a coarse
          pulp. On pressing this pulp, I gain around 1 gallon of juice from 3
          or 4 gallons of apples. I add nothing to the juice other than
          champagne yeast (Gervin No.3). The OG of this years fruit is around
          1055- 1060, and fermentation goes off like a rocket. The cider
          ferments to dryness in around 7-10 days. The cider drops most of its
          yeast sediment after 2 weeks, so I rack-off into a sterile container
          to finish clearing. I always use 1 gallon jars, because 1 or 2
          gallons is about as much juice as I can press at a time before I get
          bored/ my partner wants the kitchen back, and because I'm limited by
          the number of windfalls I collect at any one time ( 7 gallons of
          windfalls for 2 gallons of juice). This means that the entire cider
          making season stretches from a early september until late November.
          The cider is `live' and I intend to distil it young to avoid
          spoiling.

          I add water & yeast to the dry pulp left from the first pressing ,
          ferment on the pulp for a few days before re-pressing and adding a
          little sugar- this makes a lighter `second pressing' cider.

          I have a 3.5 gallon stainless steel stock pot, which stands on a
          medium sized gas camping ring. A 28mm x 8 inch column rises from the
          pot to the liebigs condenser (also 28 mm internal), which is attached
          to the column via a screw fitting to adjust the angle the condenser
          sits at.

          I'm have more experience at making cider than I have at distilling,
          so I'd like to run this passed you. I've read, re-read, and read
          again the home-distiller, searched both yahoo distilling forums, as
          well as the home distilling forum, and read the art of artisan
          distilling, recommended by Harry in some previous posts (very good
          read)

          Here's what I intend to do-
          With a total of 6 gallons of cider, I intend to run 2 gallons of
          cider at a time, and do 3 first-distillation runs, collecting
          approximately 3 litres from each run, not discarding heads.
          For the second distillation, I hope to have around 2 gallons of low-
          wines (feints). Based on the calculations on Home-Distiller, this
          should be around 17% (ish).
          For the cuts on the second run, I'm thinking about 200ml for heads,
          then I have 3 alternatives previously suggested:
          The artisan distiller suggests calvados cuts as 1.5% heads, 30%
          hearts, 25% tails.
          Home-distiller suggests I collect hearts until 90-92c, then swap
          containers & collect tails until 96c
          Harry has previously given two other alternatives- collect everything
          until 50% as recorded by hydrometer, then smell & taste when to make
          the cut. Or Collect everything to 60%, and then collect between 60% &
          45% in small batches before re-blending.

          Because I've never distilled cider before, I'm not really happy about
          using the temperature rule-of-thumb, so what I'm figuring on is
          keeping an eye on how much I've collected, keeping an on the %ABV,
          and observing the temperature. When I get close, I'll try to make
          cuts based on taste & smell, and keep the different volumes in
          different containers so if I overshoot, I've not lost everything ( a
          kind of mix of Harry's two alternatives)

          How does this all sound?

          I'm particularly interested in making sure the amount of heads cut is
          appropriate.

          Thanks in advance for your help.
        • Andrew Bugal

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2006
              Personally, I would collect everything in small bottles (within reason:
              the hearts can go in one big bottle). then dicard everything that
              smells bad. then discard everything that tastes bad when diluted,
              ordering the rest in order of goodness. then start blending.
              Have aspirins ready for the following morning!
              cheers
              Rob.

              Cheers,
              Rob.