Re: Honeyed whisky

  • eiretearoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2013
      Thanks Jan. I didn't think it would come through when I distilled.
      I'll have a go!

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jwouter" <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

      > The honey tast will not be preserved when you distill it. You'll have to add honey to your whiskey.
      > Just play around with it, different types of honey and different amounts.
      >
      > Good luck
      > Jan Wouter
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eiretearoa" <eiretearoa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm a newbie, but have made a few different types of drink by adding essences to the basic distillate.
      > > Now my son has asked if I can make a honeyed whisky. Would I be right in saying I have two options:
      > > 1. To add honey to the wash and hope the flavour comes through when I distill OR
      > > 2. Complete my usual process, add the whisky essence then add "some" manuka honey as well, and leave to age for a while
      > >
      > > Has anyone done this, if so, how long do you leave it, if not, why not and how else would you do it?
      > >
      > > I'm not at the stage where I'm making whisky from scratch, so please don't suggest I use a certain type of grain - I promise I'll do that in a few months!
      > >
      > > cheers
      > > Bronnie

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2013
        Note that adding honey to your spirits will give you a very fine precipitate that settles very slowly. It always has for me,anyway.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eiretearoa" wrote:

        > Thanks Jan. I didn't think it would come through when I distilled.
        > I'll have a go!
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jwouter" janwouter.mailgroups@ wrote:
        > >
        > > The honey tast will not be preserved when you distill it. You'll have to add honey to your whiskey.
        > > Just play around with it, different types of honey and different amounts.
        > >
        > > Good luck
        > > Jan Wouter
      • fatbloke
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2013
          Often will do, but that's usually sorted if you bung the flavoured spirit through a half micron or less filter......