Re: [new_distillers] Re: Confuzzled

  • Bob Glicksman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      It has been said before, but this bares repeating:  TEST your wash to make sure that you have converted the starch to sugar.  A very simple test is the thickness and solubility of the mash.  Originally, the starch in the grain is not water soluble and your mash is something like oatmeal.  Even if mixed very well, there is an obvious fine grained lumpiness to it.  After processing with amylases for even a few minutes, the mash smooths out and thins out considerably.  Processing for starch to sugar is NOT complete at this point, but at least you know that it has started.

      The most definitive test for completion of starch conversion is the "iodine" test.  Use 2% iodine solution (Lugol's soltion) on a small sample of the wort (converted mash) to see if it turns dark purple -- dark purple indicates the presence of starch, but not how much (so even a tiny bit shows up).  I have found it hard to observe the color change in the "real world", as the wort probably has color, as does your sample cup.  It helps to take two small (one or two tsb is enough) samples in two identical cups and put one drop of Lugol's in one of them -- stir the iodine in and see how long it takes for the iodine color to fade and compare the two samples to see if there is a significant difference after about 10 seconds (no more).  If there is, then starch remains (which may or may not be your goal).

      A sugar hydrometer test should be made just prior to pitching the yeast and nutrient in order to obtain an estimate of potential alcohol of the beer (wash) prior to distillation.  A triple scale hydrometer and sample tube can be purchased on-line for under ten dollars US.  You need to know how much alcohol is going into your still before you can comment about how much comes out of it!

      Bob (the other)

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
        if your mash is all fermented out 100% you should be getting around 1.5 liter  @160 proof with the sugar alone not counting  the grain i believe i get around a gallon @ 80 proof from my recipes using about 3-4 lb of grain and 5 lbs of sugar
        check to see if ur getting a full ferment
        are u  doing any thing for starch conversion ?
        what grains r u using? barley, corn, wheat, rye, oats? only barley  has the inzimes for starch conversion
        r u using 2 row or 6 row barley?  6 row is way better,  more inzimes
        ..ben

        ________________________________

          Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

        ______________________

        Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
        Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
        Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
        . Your Shirt is Mexican.
        Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

        Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
        Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: gonagin58@...
        Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:31:06 -0700
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Confuzzled

        Don't use distilled water, use spring water and use bakers yeast along with the brewers yeast.