Re: [new_distillers] Re: Confuzzled

  • cnapier@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      So....at the point of pointing out my slowness.

      I've made both ways.....simple and cooked....

      I seemingly confused the two methods.......

      Both used the 4 inches of grain......water.....5lbs sugar.

      And since I obtained shine from both.......I just figured I'd had gone south with something.

      I am cooking the grain as we speak.......I must have figured the simple was easier since I just dumped the grain in and carried on.

      So.......laziness on my part.

      And I drag my own name thru the mud.

      Claude

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
        It has been said before, but this bares repeating:  TEST your wash to make sure that you have converted the starch to sugar.  A very simple test is the thickness and solubility of the mash.  Originally, the starch in the grain is not water soluble and your mash is something like oatmeal.  Even if mixed very well, there is an obvious fine grained lumpiness to it.  After processing with amylases for even a few minutes, the mash smooths out and thins out considerably.  Processing for starch to sugar is NOT complete at this point, but at least you know that it has started.

        The most definitive test for completion of starch conversion is the "iodine" test.  Use 2% iodine solution (Lugol's soltion) on a small sample of the wort (converted mash) to see if it turns dark purple -- dark purple indicates the presence of starch, but not how much (so even a tiny bit shows up).  I have found it hard to observe the color change in the "real world", as the wort probably has color, as does your sample cup.  It helps to take two small (one or two tsb is enough) samples in two identical cups and put one drop of Lugol's in one of them -- stir the iodine in and see how long it takes for the iodine color to fade and compare the two samples to see if there is a significant difference after about 10 seconds (no more).  If there is, then starch remains (which may or may not be your goal).

        A sugar hydrometer test should be made just prior to pitching the yeast and nutrient in order to obtain an estimate of potential alcohol of the beer (wash) prior to distillation.  A triple scale hydrometer and sample tube can be purchased on-line for under ten dollars US.  You need to know how much alcohol is going into your still before you can comment about how much comes out of it!

        Bob (the other)

        > I like very much the flavor of my shine.
        >
        > 4 inches of all grain...corn, barley, maple mix.
        > 5 pounds white sugar.
        > 5 gallons distilled water.
        > 2 teaspoons dady brewers yeast.
        > Water temp 70 degrees
        > All in glass carboy
        >
        > Wait til yeast is finished.
        >
        > Distilled in pot still.
        > Double barreled condenser.
        >
        > Done on hot plate.....plenty of heat.
        >
        > Lucky to get 40 oz on stripping run.
        > Run again....less than a quart of 160 proof.
        >
        > Feel free to drag me thru the mud.
        >
        > Claude
        >
        > Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE exclusively from Sprint

      • ben marks
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
          if your mash is all fermented out 100% you should be getting around 1.5 liter  @160 proof with the sugar alone not counting  the grain i believe i get around a gallon @ 80 proof from my recipes using about 3-4 lb of grain and 5 lbs of sugar
          check to see if ur getting a full ferment
          are u  doing any thing for starch conversion ?
          what grains r u using? barley, corn, wheat, rye, oats? only barley  has the inzimes for starch conversion
          r u using 2 row or 6 row barley?  6 row is way better,  more inzimes
          ..ben

          ________________________________

            Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

          ______________________

          Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
          Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
          Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
          . Your Shirt is Mexican.
          Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

          Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
          Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: gonagin58@...
          Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:31:06 -0700
          Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Confuzzled

          Don't use distilled water, use spring water and use bakers yeast along with the brewers yeast.