Re: [new_distillers] Re:s.s.dome

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hello Billy!
      Nice to see your posting.
      Would you describe for me the kettle-dome setup you referred to, please? How
      wide are the rims, how do you affix the dome to the kettle, how did you attach
      the column to the dome, etc.?
      At present I use a 16L s.s.kettle and the flat lid that came with it. However, I
      have been considering a s.s. mixing bowl if I can find one with the proper
      diameter.
      John V

      BillyWeeble@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/2/02 9:46:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > ianelamacsween@... writes:
      >
      > << A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
      > backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
      > they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
      > if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
      > retain heat in your boiler >>
      >
      > Howdy all, I had one of those so called "Space Blankets" and to save
      > anyone time and money I'll tell you right now that you may as well wrap
      > yourself up in plastic wrap as use one of those pieces of crap. I damn near
      > froze to death because of one while backpacking and the temp dropped
      > unexpectedly. I burned it for warmth the next morning. I heat my boiler with
      > gas and use non-papered fiberglass as insulation over the dome (ss mixing
      > bowl). A larger ss bowl covers it for looks and to hold it down. Made a world
      > of difference.

    • pocoian2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hello Billy!
        > Nice to see your posting.
        > Would you describe for me the kettle-dome setup you referred to,
        please? How
        > wide are the rims, how do you affix the dome to the kettle, how did
        you attach
        > the column to the dome, etc.?
        > At present I use a 16L s.s.kettle and the flat lid that came with
        it. However, I
        > have been considering a s.s. mixing bowl if I can find one with the
        proper
        > diameter.
        > John V
        >
        > BillyWeeble@c... wrote:
        >
        > > In a message dated 7/2/02 9:46:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > > ianelamacsween@s... writes:
        > >
        > > << A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
        > > backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable -
        but
        > > they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't
        know
        > > if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
        > > retain heat in your boiler >>
        > >
        > > Howdy all, I had one of those so called "Space Blankets" and
        to save
        > > anyone time and money I'll tell you right now that you may as
        well wrap
        > > yourself up in plastic wrap as use one of those pieces of crap. I
        damn near
        > > froze to death because of one while backpacking and the temp
        dropped
        > > unexpectedly. I burned it for warmth the next morning. I heat my
        boiler with
        > > gas and use non-papered fiberglass as insulation over the dome
        (ss mixing
        > > bowl). A larger ss bowl covers it for looks and to hold it down.
        Made a world
        > > of difference.

        Good thing I never got lost in the snow! The only time I used my
        Space Blanket was to wrap it around my sleeping bag - seemed to work
        fine - but then again I had a good sleeping bag. Carried it around in
        my day pack for years. Guess I'll stick to my wool blanket when I
        heat up the still!

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/