Honeyed whisky

  • eiretearoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
      I'm a newbie, but have made a few different types of drink by adding essences to the basic distillate.
      Now my son has asked if I can make a honeyed whisky. Would I be right in saying I have two options:
      1. To add honey to the wash and hope the flavour comes through when I distill OR
      2. Complete my usual process, add the whisky essence then add "some" manuka honey as well, and leave to age for a while

      Has anyone done this, if so, how long do you leave it, if not, why not and how else would you do it?

      I'm not at the stage where I'm making whisky from scratch, so please don't suggest I use a certain type of grain - I promise I'll do that in a few months!

      cheers
      Bronnie
    • jwouter
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2013
        The honey tast will not be preserved when you distill it. You'll have to add honey to your whiskey.
        Just play around with it, different types of honey and different amounts.

        Good luck
        Jan Wouter

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eiretearoa" <eiretearoa@...> wrote:

        > I'm a newbie, but have made a few different types of drink by adding essences to the basic distillate.
        > Now my son has asked if I can make a honeyed whisky. Would I be right in saying I have two options:
        > 1. To add honey to the wash and hope the flavour comes through when I distill OR
        > 2. Complete my usual process, add the whisky essence then add "some" manuka honey as well, and leave to age for a while
        >
        > Has anyone done this, if so, how long do you leave it, if not, why not and how else would you do it?
        >
        > I'm not at the stage where I'm making whisky from scratch, so please don't suggest I use a certain type of grain - I promise I'll do that in a few months!
        >
        > cheers
        > Bronnie

      • eiretearoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2013
          Thanks Jan. I didn't think it would come through when I distilled.
          I'll have a go!

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jwouter" <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

          > The honey tast will not be preserved when you distill it. You'll have to add honey to your whiskey.
          > Just play around with it, different types of honey and different amounts.
          >
          > Good luck
          > Jan Wouter
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eiretearoa" <eiretearoa@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm a newbie, but have made a few different types of drink by adding essences to the basic distillate.
          > > Now my son has asked if I can make a honeyed whisky. Would I be right in saying I have two options:
          > > 1. To add honey to the wash and hope the flavour comes through when I distill OR
          > > 2. Complete my usual process, add the whisky essence then add "some" manuka honey as well, and leave to age for a while
          > >
          > > Has anyone done this, if so, how long do you leave it, if not, why not and how else would you do it?
          > >
          > > I'm not at the stage where I'm making whisky from scratch, so please don't suggest I use a certain type of grain - I promise I'll do that in a few months!
          > >
          > > cheers
          > > Bronnie

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2013
            Note that adding honey to your spirits will give you a very fine precipitate that settles very slowly. It always has for me,anyway.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eiretearoa" wrote:

            > Thanks Jan. I didn't think it would come through when I distilled.
            > I'll have a go!
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jwouter" janwouter.mailgroups@ wrote:
            > >
            > > The honey tast will not be preserved when you distill it. You'll have to add honey to your whiskey.
            > > Just play around with it, different types of honey and different amounts.
            > >
            > > Good luck
            > > Jan Wouter
          • fatbloke
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2013
              Often will do, but that's usually sorted if you bung the flavoured spirit through a half micron or less filter......