Re: [new_distillers] Re: calvados

  • Campbell Jones
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002

      Yes Wal

      Another one is http://www.cidersurfersarms.com/ which is an offshoot of HP Bulmer http://www.bulmer.com/worldwide.html the original cider maker who once dabbled in the distillation of cider ( from Scrumpy Jack ) I once saw a still  in their head office window. I seem to remember a row over the name Calvados ( shades of Champagne ) so I think they packed it in.

      John V.   I was touring in Normandy a few years back and came around a corner in a very narrow lane and there on the grass verge opposite some farm buildings was what I first thought was a steam traction engine but turned out to be a mobile distillery stam up and in full swing   ...... fed by a rubber pipe which crossed the road. We were waved on over this which must have been the feed from the farm. So although the cider was portable John ( and potable ! ) the mountain still came to etc. etc.

      Regards to all

      Pactumuk

      <waljaco@...>

      wrote:
      To confuse you even more, the English use the term 'scrumpy', 'cider'
      (U.S.hard cider), and 'cider brandy'! See:
      http://ftp.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A575228
      The links to other U.K. sites are useful.
      Wal
      'Grappa' (from grape pomace) and 'slivovica' (from whole plums) in the
      villages is usually made from all the pomace or pulp in - this does
      produce more flavor, but will burn if precautions are not taken. The
      same with moonshine whiskey I gather. A clear wash is safer - no
      flloding for example.

      -- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > When I began this search for a calvados recipe I thought it was a
      simple
      > matter.  In fact, it is a muddle.  3/4's of websites indicate that
      calvados
      > is produced by distilling apple cider.  A minority holds that
      calvados is
      > the distillate from fermented apple pomage (pulp) and not from hard
      cider.
      > To confuse things further, many use the term eau-de-vie
      interchangeably
      > with brandy, while others rigidly distinguish between the two, but
      then
      > confuse between eau-de-vie and brandy.
      > As I remember the stuff in Brittany/Normandy, once a year a
      travelling
      > distiller would haul his still from village to village and distill
      all
      > comers.  Now, I can not visualize the average Normandy farmer
      hauling
      > fermented apple mush (pomage) into the nearby village and shovelling
      that
      > over into the still.  Certainly for ease of handling, somewhere
      along the
      > line they must have converted to liquid.  Which was then duly
      distilled.
      > Any comments?
      > John V

      Relive the FIFA World Cup goals with exclusive video highlights!

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
        Hello All,
        George791 came across this url, depicting a modern itinerant calvados
        distiller's set-up.

        http://jos.home.cern.ch/jos/calvados.htm
      • gerry g
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2002
          --- waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:
          > See:

          > A useful site to find distilling information from
          > the Distillers List
          > (public) is http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > Wal
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen
          > <vandermeulen@n...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello All,
          > > with the onset of summer and the expectation of
          > autumn not far
          > behind, I
          > > can already imagine the very large crates with
          > tons of new apples
          > at the
          > > roadside stands. So it is not too early to think
          > of trying for
          > calvados
          > > one more time.
          > > Is there any wisdom out there re: Calvados? I
          > just searched the
          > > group.distillers list and really did not find
          > anything particular or
          > > technical except a Mar.21,2000 posting by Rob van
          > Leuven/Holland.
          > > As I understand the process: crush/mash the apples
          > - add sugar if
          > necessary
          > > - ferment - distill slowly.
          > > There is little else that I can find. However, is
          > that it?
          > Ferment the
          > > juice or on the pulp? Pot-still or reflux?
          > Distillation cut-off
          > temps?
          > > Age?
          > > John V

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • marquee.moon
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2006
            This autumn, I'm intending to make apple brandy.

            My cider is made from approximately 60% cooking apples, 40% eating.
            Both are old Northern English varieties, don't know what type. All
            are windfalls that have been collected and left to stand until a few
            are starting to rot slightly (these are removed and the rest are
            used). They're passed through the food processor to create a coarse
            pulp. On pressing this pulp, I gain around 1 gallon of juice from 3
            or 4 gallons of apples. I add nothing to the juice other than
            champagne yeast (Gervin No.3). The OG of this years fruit is around
            1055- 1060, and fermentation goes off like a rocket. The cider
            ferments to dryness in around 7-10 days. The cider drops most of its
            yeast sediment after 2 weeks, so I rack-off into a sterile container
            to finish clearing. I always use 1 gallon jars, because 1 or 2
            gallons is about as much juice as I can press at a time before I get
            bored/ my partner wants the kitchen back, and because I'm limited by
            the number of windfalls I collect at any one time ( 7 gallons of
            windfalls for 2 gallons of juice). This means that the entire cider
            making season stretches from a early september until late November.
            The cider is `live' and I intend to distil it young to avoid
            spoiling.

            I add water & yeast to the dry pulp left from the first pressing ,
            ferment on the pulp for a few days before re-pressing and adding a
            little sugar- this makes a lighter `second pressing' cider.

            I have a 3.5 gallon stainless steel stock pot, which stands on a
            medium sized gas camping ring. A 28mm x 8 inch column rises from the
            pot to the liebigs condenser (also 28 mm internal), which is attached
            to the column via a screw fitting to adjust the angle the condenser
            sits at.

            I'm have more experience at making cider than I have at distilling,
            so I'd like to run this passed you. I've read, re-read, and read
            again the home-distiller, searched both yahoo distilling forums, as
            well as the home distilling forum, and read the art of artisan
            distilling, recommended by Harry in some previous posts (very good
            read)

            Here's what I intend to do-
            With a total of 6 gallons of cider, I intend to run 2 gallons of
            cider at a time, and do 3 first-distillation runs, collecting
            approximately 3 litres from each run, not discarding heads.
            For the second distillation, I hope to have around 2 gallons of low-
            wines (feints). Based on the calculations on Home-Distiller, this
            should be around 17% (ish).
            For the cuts on the second run, I'm thinking about 200ml for heads,
            then I have 3 alternatives previously suggested:
            The artisan distiller suggests calvados cuts as 1.5% heads, 30%
            hearts, 25% tails.
            Home-distiller suggests I collect hearts until 90-92c, then swap
            containers & collect tails until 96c
            Harry has previously given two other alternatives- collect everything
            until 50% as recorded by hydrometer, then smell & taste when to make
            the cut. Or Collect everything to 60%, and then collect between 60% &
            45% in small batches before re-blending.

            Because I've never distilled cider before, I'm not really happy about
            using the temperature rule-of-thumb, so what I'm figuring on is
            keeping an eye on how much I've collected, keeping an on the %ABV,
            and observing the temperature. When I get close, I'll try to make
            cuts based on taste & smell, and keep the different volumes in
            different containers so if I overshoot, I've not lost everything ( a
            kind of mix of Harry's two alternatives)

            How does this all sound?

            I'm particularly interested in making sure the amount of heads cut is
            appropriate.

            Thanks in advance for your help.
          • Andrew Bugal

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2006
                Personally, I would collect everything in small bottles (within reason:
                the hearts can go in one big bottle). then dicard everything that
                smells bad. then discard everything that tastes bad when diluted,
                ordering the rest in order of goodness. then start blending.
                Have aspirins ready for the following morning!
                cheers
                Rob.

                Cheers,
                Rob.