Re: calculating heat input

  • totallyanonymousemail18
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 22 8:59 PM
      My column is packed with copper pot scrubbers. They may be to tightly packed; how to know? My column thermo is a Blichmann mechanical, and it read 170, maybe 171. Also, do you have any suggestions on an insulation medium for a 2" column? There doesn't seem to be much ready-made for that diameter. Now the plumb on the column, that may be an issue. It is an open-head SS drum with an ever-so-slight crown when I screw down the ring; the 2" fitting is not smack in the center, but near the rim, so it might not be plumb down the center. That is something I'll check and kludge a solution to. I know that the 4 KW power is too much for my condenser, it gets overwhelmed. at 2.5, the base was as hot as the rest, but the top was cool.

      You've given me some things to think on and check. I built my column as a modular system, so that I can lengthen/shorten the column and use different reflux condensers for different applications; I may need to fabricate a more powerful reflux condenser.

      Thanks again for the tips.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@...> wrote:

      > I am wondering if the 2L product that you are getting are the foreshots and not ethanol. The foreshots have a lower boiling point than ethanol which suggests (but doesn't guarantee) a lower latent heat of vaporization. Question: can you bring the column into equilibrium and get a temperature of the vapors at the top of the still of about 173 deg F (the bp of the 190+ proof ethanol)? Make sure that you have slowly removed the foreshots and heads before going back to 100% reflux and reestablishing equilibrium in the column. This is the main test -- if you can't get the vapor temp up to the bp of high proof ethanol, then you are either not puting in enough heat or have too much loss in your uninsulated column. BTW - I have never heard of anyone actually getting good reflux distillation with an uninsulated column, so I'd strongly recommend that you do this first. Also, check the plumb on the column and make sure that it is absolutely vertical. I know of a number of cases where a few degrees off of vertical causes the reflux liquid to run down the sides of the column and not mix sufficiently with the ascending vapors in the packing, so that the whole fractionating action didn't happen at all. And while you are at it, check your packing. You didn't say what it was, but make sure that it is loose enough to get good vapor flow up the column and good mixing with decending liquid.
      >
      > Ultimately, you may need to increase the boiler heat but generally speaking, too much heat is worse than too little heat, as long as the still provides the product production rate and proof that you desire. Afterall, whatever heat energy you put in has to be removed by the condenser(s). Also, according the Nixon and McCaw, too much heat means too much vapor which means too much mass flowing into the reflux column which means a higher speed of vapors rizing up a fixed diameter column, all of which means not enough interaction of vapor and liquid in the column leading to low proof and waste of energy.
      >
      > Hope this helps ...

    • Bob Glicksman
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 23 9:39 AM
        The scrubbers should not be compressed when you are packing your column with them.  They shoudl fill the column but not forced into it.  The column should be operating at atmospheric pressure only - no pressure buildup under the packing or anywhere else.  When the column reaches equilibrium, (by definition) any vapor leaving the boiler should appear at the top of the packing (below the reflux condenser).  I don't know if you have any way to observe or measure any of this, but if you do, it would help to understand what is happening.

        There should be vapor coming off of the boiler -- if not, you don't have enough heat going into the boiler (obviously).  It is a good idea to insulate the boiler as well, as heat loss in your big boiler may exceed the heat input and you then have no vapor into the column.  But if you do have vapor going into the column, it must ascend through the packing to be liquified by the condenser(s).  A distillation column will ordinarily store some mass in the packing or plates, but after it reaches equilibrium, this storage is saturated and the column can store no more.  Conservation of mass dictates that what goes in must come out, so there must be vapor to condense.  If there is, but you are getting no product, then (obviously) the reflux ratio is too high (100%) and you can slowly reduce it until you get some product takeoff.  The vapor temperature will tell you the proof of your product.

        I would follow Nixon and McCaws procedure:  set the reflux ratio to 100% and allow the column to come into equilibrium, which may take some time (hours).  The temperature of the product vapors will stabilize when the column is in equilibrium.  Then slowly decrease the reflux ratio to obtain product, making sure that the column remains in equilibrium as you do so (by continuing to carefully observe the temperature at the top of the packing).

        The only way that you can stop getting vapor at the top of the packing is if you stop putting vapor into the column, or if there is heat loss from the column.  In the latter case, the vapor is condensing in the packing and not reaching the condenser above the packing.  This is why the column must be insulated.   Ideally, the only place that latent heat of vaporization should be removed from the column (to condense vapor back into liquid) is via the condenser(s).

        I don't know of ready made insulation to wrap a 2" diameter column, but you can certainly get pipe wrapping insulation or bats of insulation for wrapping water heaters from any hardware store and wrap your column with this stuff.  You don't need to go overboard - the still will (must) work in an imperfect world.  You just need enough to ensure that the column can reach equilibrium and be kept there.

> [...]

        > Ultimately, you may need to increase the boiler heat but generally speaking, too much heat is worse than too little heat, as long as the still provides the product production rate and proof that you desire. Afterall, whatever heat energy you put in has to be removed by the condenser(s). Also, according the Nixon and McCaw, too much heat means too much vapor which means too much mass flowing into the reflux column which means a higher speed of vapors rizing up a fixed diameter column, all of which means not enough interaction of vapor and liquid in the column leading to low proof and waste of energy.

      • allibugger
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 23 10:50 AM
          To insulate my 2" column I bought 2 pices of 1" pipe insulation from Home Depot, Split them vertically and then butted the pieces together and let them overlap around the column. I duct taped them together and they work like a charm.

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 23 11:01 AM
            Message
            Foil-backed bubble wrap, for water heaters, is very good for columns and electrically heated boilers.

            --

            Brendan Keith

            bkeith@...

            To insulate my 2" column I bought 2 pices of 1" pipe insulation from Home Depot, Split them vertically and then butted the pieces together and let them overlap around the column. I duct taped them together and they work like a charm.

          • chris jude
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 23 11:06 AM
              For pipe insulation there's a number of choices at McMaster:
              http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-insulation/=mg5uk3

              Otherwise you should be able to get something from a local plumbing supply house.  Just make sure it can handle up to 212 F.

              On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM, totallyanonymousemail18 <totallyanonymousemail18@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > Ultimately, you may need to increase the boiler heat but generally speaking, too much heat is worse than too little heat, as long as the still provides the product production rate and proof that you desire. Afterall, whatever heat energy you put in has to be removed by the condenser(s). Also, according the Nixon and McCaw, too much heat means too much vapor which means too much mass flowing into the reflux column which means a higher speed of vapors rizing up a fixed diameter column, all of which means not enough interaction of vapor and liquid in the column leading to low proof and waste of energy.

            • geoff
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 24 10:22 AM
                Hi, I,m pretty new to this hobby. (2months) I have a homemade 5 gallon (U.K) Boka reflux its only a metre high (39 inches) and 46mm diameter (nearly 2 inches). The boiler is a 3Kw urn used for making hot drinks (thermostat controlled). From the outset i had to come up with a way of controlling the power input. I just used a triac controller you can get them on e-bay and amazon for about £12 (usd 20) generally from China.With this i have almost infinite adjustment of power input. During the reflux after full on heat up to boil i drop the power to 800Watts which gives me the right velocity for good reflux I get 92% ABV with a 25% take off, as things progress I have to slowly(over 10 hours) turn the watts up to 1600 (ABV drops to 88%) also reducing the take off rate.So what I am saying is that its good to know all the technical heat calcs for the boiling mix, its not necessary to know this (i Didnt) to get acceptable performance. Basically biggest heater you can power from your suppy(fast boil) and a cheap triac controller. Just search on heat input or triac controller.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

                > For pipe insulation there's a number of choices at McMaster:
                > http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-insulation/=mg5uk3
                >
                > Otherwise you should be able to get something from a local plumbing supply
                > house. Just make sure it can handle up to 212 F.

              • DarkGreyMatter
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 20
                  And hidden there, in all that heat input, is a huge indicator of the inefficiency of typical pot-stilling experience:

                  To get (alcoholic) vapour of any %ABV out of the top of a still, the entire contents of the pot first need to be heated up to BP. Then more heat is needed to vaporise anything you want to travel upwards!
                  Careful study of Langmuir's Equation (you know, that Nobel Laureate physicist fellow.....) shows that no boiling, at all, is actually necessary if the energy input is properly managed.

                  But to keep things simple.......let's assume that the output must be condensed (the inverse of boiling) from vapor, so we'll allow that portion of the wash to be considered "boiled" - but not the rest.
                  (The bulk of the wash merely needs to be raised to boiling point to ensure free evaporation of the desired alcohol molecules, into the vapor phase and out of the liquid phase. All of them.)

                  Any heat put into the non-alcoholic portion of the wash is ejected as effluent (From stills of ANY design regime) and so is all of the heat energy it contains!

                  And there's the key...... in a Smart Still, that "waste heat" can be used to preheat the wash up to it's boiling point, so that it is at the ideal (vaporisation) temperature the instant any further heat is applied.

                  The wisest amongst you all might have by now realised that the only way to get all of the alcohol out of a pot still charge is to heat all of that charge up to the boiling point of water.
                  Because the boiling point only slowly migrates upwards in a pot still (as the alcohol boils off) this takes considerably, considerably more heat than the idealised minimum according to Langmuir's Equation.
                  You might be content to assume that such a problem is insurmountable?
                  I'm not!
                  I understand Conservation Of Energy and can state, with certainty, that substantial improvements in practical distillation efficiency are achievable.

                  NB: there is no guarantee that doing this will be a trivial pursuit!