Re: [new_distillers] DIY Electric DOUBLE Boiler Build -- possible??

  • Ben Pitts
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
      you could use just plain vegtable oil and just heat itwith propane burner to 180 or so it will hold heat enough for a decent run and easy heat managment if u have a theremal port into the oil itself
      ------------------------------
      On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 2:57 PM EDT jsutton_co wrote:

      >I can't control my wondering about things ... how hard would it be to DIY build an electric double boiler?
      >
      >Maybe use a Glycol solution.
      >
      >Could you cut a SS Keg about 1/3 third of the height and weld that bottom piece to the bottom of another SS keg? Add port for the electric heater element ... Maybe a fill/drain port/plug to manage the glycol solution...
      >
      >I've read the Glycol can be heated to 150 dC.
      >
      >Could this work? How are the Chinese double boilers made? I've seen steam heated ones, but electric?
      >
      >Has anyone found a similar discussion at other sites we might reference?

    • jsutton_co
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
        Version 2: A 20 gallon / 75 liter keg based double boiler design

        [img]http://www.wirelesstechradio.com/images/20galKegDoubleBoilerDesign.png%5b/img]

        A 24 gallon / 90 liter keg based double boiler design

        [img]http://www.wirelesstechradio.com/images/24galKegDoubleBoilerDesign.png%5b/img]
      • jsutton_co
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
          Version 3: Use a Stainless Steel 100 Qt pot from EBAY

          [url]http://www.wirelesstechradio.com/images/DoubleBoilerDesign_sm.png%5b/url]
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
            See question I posted in thread @ modern distiller