Re: Fermenting??

  • local yokel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
      Sounds to me like you're making a version of this recipe: http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Uncle_Jesse%27s_Simple_Sour_Mash_Method
      the recipe as written makes some fine shine. I make this all the time, so I have no doubt it can be sorted out for you. First off 10# sugar is too much for 5 gallons of liquid, it is on the high edge of what most yeast will ferment dry. What size container are you using to ferment in? Are you adding 5 gallons of water or just topping up to container top? What specific yeast are you using? Does your well water have lots of lime deposits on your household fixtures? I would raise ferment temp to 75 to 80F. Do you have a hydrometer to know when the ferment is fully fermented? quanity of product collected or kept depends on initial abv of wash, how you make your cuts and how low of an abv you collect to. Let us know what you feel is pertenent

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "reynoldsfirstpaul" <reynoldsfirstpaul@...> wrote:

      > I am new to the group.Seems I have trouble with my mash not making enough alchol.I use champanine yeast which is supposed to make more alchol.I also kjeep my fermenting bucket at around 70 degrees.I use cracked corn and have a sealed 5 gallon mash bucket with air lock.I have only been getting maybe a quart or a quart and a half of quality liquor out of 5 gals of mash.Seems like my mash takes forever to ferment sometimes 2 to 3 weeks .need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong.By the way Im using well water and using 10 lbs of sugar for the 5 gallons of mash and 1 packet of the yeast.HELP!!!!????????

    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
        Take the lid and airlock and throw them away!  Yeast needs, NEEDS o2 to survive and do its job.  Put a clean towel over the top of the bucket and watch it go, also use EC1118 yeast and you'll get better results.
         Jim