Airing Out

  • allibugger
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2013
      Actually I have 2 questions: 1) I have heard folks mention lately about airing out their runs. Sounds simple enough but I am wondering about the process. Do you cover each cut with a wet rag and leave on the table overnight or what? How about the refrigerator?

      2) I am mostly running vodka but have experiemented with corn and wheat. After a grain fermentation I have strained the settlement out of the wash and just run the clear liquid thru my still. I do not like the idea of putting all that stuff in my shiney clean boiler and am afraid it will scorch the bottom of the boiler. Is there a recommended way to do this?
      Thanks. Alli
    • local yokel
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2013
        I collect in 8 oz increments, cover with dry cloth or paper and let sit on table overnight. does two things for me. let's volatile components evaporate and more importantly let's my taste buds recover from tasting as the product comes off the still. heads can alter taste bud operation for a while and too much tasting alter my perception. I rack off my wash and let it settle till translucent looking, usually a couple days in a cool area. rack off into boiler and you're good to go. IMO yeast give off flavors as the are cooked if in too great a quantity in the boiler charge. I feel it gve the product a crisper cleaner taste.