Re: [new_distillers] Heads, body and tails

  • Chris Cameron
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2013
      I've got a 3"x 48" Boka and usually wait about an hour or so before starting to slowly draw off foreshots.

      On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM, <self.adhesive@...> wrote:

      From when boiling started to when you first drew off spirit, how long did you allow for the still to stabilize? I havent done any refluxing distilling, but it seems important to allow the various fractions to "stack up" before  drawing off. This could take hours. Can you describe your setup?

      <snip>

    • akjones1966
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
        The heads will smell similar to your wife's nail polish remover as it contains high amounts of acetone. The hearts (body) will smell like something good to drink. The tails will have an unpleasant smell not unlike a wet dog or wet cardboard. You can guesstimate the amount of hearts based on the amount of mash and its ABV (using initial and final specific gravity readings from your hydrometer). I would collect in small jars until you become familiar with your setup. Did you have a cold when you ran the still?

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2013
          Does that mean its boiling away for an hour ... or are you saying you slowly ramp up speed and it takes an hour to start drawing off?

          I guess I read to read up on the "stacking up" stuff!

          > I've got a 3"x 48" Boka and usually wait about an hour or so before
          > starting to slowly draw off foreshots.
        • David Eastham
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
            I ramp up the initial wattage to about 2500w to heat the wash (15 litres). When I feel the bottom of the column getting hot ie the hot vapour has heated the sides and "roof" of the boiler and is now hitting the column, I turn down the boiler to 1200W as it slowly climbs the column. You know when the vapour is at the top when your thermometer starts to shoot up, if you left the boiler at 2500W at this stage the vapour could shoot right out the top bypassing the condenser. As its refluxing I put a glass jar above the column outlet to check no vapour condenses on this and is retained in the column Obviously if the temperature at the top of the column does not go up you need to add more heat. If the vapour condenses above the column reduce the heat. Once set and the temperature remains constant (+-0.1c)for 1/2 hour I then start take off.
            Cheers
            Dave E