Re: New to group

  • hobby pilot
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2013
      Thank you so much for the feed back.This is surely an art.I have visited and read some of the books available and am getting wisened up.I will do some studying and lurking around to see what all I can pick up and ask questions to you professionals when needs be.
      I realize that I knew very little about this process and am willing to learn.It should be a fun experience .
      Thanks again for all and any feed back.
      best regards
      Guy

> [...]
      > least) part of the vapors and sends that liquid drizzling back down the
      > column, in a process called reflux. The remainder of the vapor can be
      > condensed and take off as product.
      >
      > This vapor upflowing and liquid down-drizzling, with all the condensing
      > and re-evaporating, causes the different volatile liquids in the boiler
      > wash to "stack", to separate (sorta well, anyway) in the column
      > according to their individual boiling points. This works as long as most
      > of the vapor going up is condensed and sent back down, refluxed.
      >
      > As long as the amount of upgoing vapor collected for product is
      > relatively small, the different volatile compounds stay pretty well
      > stacked, and will come off as product in a more or less orderly fashion,
      > so that can be collected in relatively pure fractions.
      >
      > As to that "magic divider", the three most common varieties are cooling
      > management (CM), liquid management (LM), and vapor management (VM).
      >
      > CM is often considered to be an old and fussy design, although there are
      > some exceptions. It separates by condensing only part of the upgoing
      > vapor, and collection and condensing the what gets through the partial
      > condenser as product.
      >
      > LM is pretty solid and well-known technology, and separates by
      > condensing all of the vapor, valving most of the condensate to go back
      > down the column, and/or valving the remainder out to product.
      >
      > VM has become very popular in the last few years, and divides the vapor
      > with valves. Most of that vapor is condensed by the reflux condenser and
      > run back down the column, while the remaining vapor is condensed by the
      > product condenser and collected.
      >
      > Of the basic types, VM is usually considered the easiest to run, and is
      > certainly as effective as the other types. The exceptions to a lot of
      > these basics have been extensively explored by Riku, the author of
      > Designing and Building Automatic Stills. If what you want to have done
      > is what any of his amazing designs do, you'd ignore him at your own
      > peril.
      >
      > Most current books deal with CM and LM, but VM hasn't been out long
      > enough to be well described in books, yet. Google is your best bet to
      > get VM information.

      > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hobby pilot" <bluesky@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello guys and gals .I am new to the group and want to get up to speed
      > on the jargon used,reflex etc.
      > > I have made moonshine many years ago with a DeLaval milk can container
      > along with a copper coil out of the pulsator into a bucket of cold water
      > .I now want to make a high grade alcohol for the purpose of absorption
      > of chemical properties in herbs,i.e.tinctures.
      > > I reside in Canada and it is illegal to do this ,but hey ,I like to
      > live on the edge,always have and always will.
      > > Any information ,books on how to build the best unit etc. would be

    • M L
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
        A lot of education can result from reading " Home Distillation of Alcohol". A very informative site.