Re: [new_distillers] Small-scale cider distillation

  • Dr. M. Legendre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
      On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:34:19 +1200
      "Mike Nixon" <mike@...> wrote:

      > Quoting the relevant passage from that website:
      > "Rupf said that most Alsatian distillers now add sugar to make their
      > products easier to drink. That also makes them a little more likely to
      > give hangovers"
      >
      > Would it be that making their products "easier to drink" holds a clue?
      > If you drink more of a flavored spirit then the chances of ending up
      > with a hangover would seem to be higher than if you drink less.

      I think we may be missing something here. My interpretation is that the
      sugar is being added to the distilled _product_ (as one does with
      extracts) rather than to the mash/must. This might make it 'easier to
      drink'.

      Adding amounts of sugar (as for a liqueur or cordial) to liquor will
      increase the quantity, if not the severity, of the aftereffects. Merry
      Christmas ;)

      -- Dr. M. Legendre
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
        Sugar- added spirit can potentially cause a worse hangover- not because of
        the sugar itself, but because yeast tends to produce more higher and lower
        alcohols when it is fermented in high sugar concentrations- I.e; there is
        less heads/tails/methanol to get rid of in a 10gallon batch of 10%abv, than
        in a five gallon batch of 20%abv. The heavier concentration of sugar causes
        the problem, not the source of fermentables.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
          Adding sugar to a distilled spirit does make it smoother, but it may mess up
          the blood glucose levels in acute cases of ethanol poisoning, and therefore,
          intensify the hangover.