Re: newbie question

  • wea5148
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28, 2013
      Friendly Distillers. Thank you much for your advise and recommendations. I will definately continue to educate myself. I am learning that distilling is more of an art versus a science. Perhaps I shopuld call you professors "distilling artist". Again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@...> wrote:

      > There are many good books that you can find in the on-line library: http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/homepage.html#. Click on "production" and you can read these books online at no cost. You can also get yourself a copy of "Alcohol Can Be A Gas" by David Blume (e.g. on Amazon.com). This book is about making fuel rather than spirits, but it has lots of information about processing a whole variety of feedstock.
      >

      > Although spirit distilling has its own set of quality parameters, what you are doing is essentially making either wine or beer and then distilling it to produce a higher proof spirit (perhaps then coloring and flavoring the spirit after distillation). Therefore, any book on wine or beer making will get you started. Wine is made by fermenting sugars occurring naturally in plants (i.e. fruit juices). Beer is made from plant starch, which is essentially a plant's way of storing sugar for when the sun doesn't shine. Plants (particularly in their sprouted stage) contain natural enzymes which convert the starches back into sugars. You "mash up" the starchy material in water (the mash), cook the mash in enzymes to convert the starches to sugars, and then ferment it, just like fermenting fruit juice to wine.

    • Richard Costa
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2013
        I want to second that sentiment. There is no substitute for experience and thank you to all who share that.

        BTW, I had some of Junior Johnson's Midnight Moonshine cranberry a couple nights ago, which is sold legally. It's sold at 100 proof and was very good but left me with a bit of a dull headache. I'd like to hear some expert opinions on this. Is this because of the yeasts, the alcohol, or was it me? My daughter insists it's just basic dehydration from alcohol. Comments?

        Richard

        Friendly Distillers. Thank you much for your advise and recommendations. I will definately continue to educate myself. I am learning that distilling is more of an art versus a science. Perhaps I shopuld call you professors "distilling artist". Again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@...> wrote:

        > There are many good books that you can find in the on-line library: http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/homepage.html#. Click on "production" and you can read these books online at no cost. You can also get yourself a copy of "Alcohol Can Be A Gas" by David Blume (e.g. on Amazon.com). This book is about making fuel rather than spirits, but it has lots of information about processing a whole variety of feedstock.
        >

        > Although spirit distilling has its own set of quality parameters, what you are doing is essentially making either wine or beer and then distilling it to produce a higher proof spirit (perhaps then coloring and flavoring the spirit after distillation). Therefore, any book on wine or beer making will get you started. Wine is made by fermenting sugars occurring naturally in plants (i.e. fruit juices). Beer is made from plant starch, which is essentially a plant's way of storing sugar for when the sun doesn't shine. Plants (particularly in their sprouted stage) contain natural enzymes which convert the starches back into sugars. You "mash up" the starchy material in water (the mash), cook the mash in enzymes to convert the starches to sugars, and then ferment it, just like fermenting fruit juice to wine.

      • Alex Netherton
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 30, 2013
          Did you get the headache directly after drinking, or the next morning? Remember that Junior's "stuff" is not the same as his daddy's,  which was traditionally distilled, was not adulterated, and was sold at about 150 proof, and was quite likely more "pure". Plus, in that day, people didn't make stuff as on TV's "Moonshiners" (this stuff ain't fer drinkin', it's fer sellin'), but made it the same for family and for sale.

          I would suspect a possible sensitivity to cranberry, and maybe something that got "pulled" out of the berries by the alcohol. Try some straight Midnight Moon.

          I am scandalized by these moonshines; a fifth of Jack, Beam, or Turkey will cost you less than $20, and Makers Mark will cost about $25. All of them are bonded and barrel aged, with Bourbon laws (aged at least 2 years in a NEW charred White Oak barrel, and at a set proof in the barrel, bonded by the US Government, etc. etc.) These "Moonshines" cost about as much as a very good Bourbon or a decent Malt Scotch (an even more convoluted and expensive aging process), and are not aged, or anything. You can go out in the hills, find a moonshiner making it right, and get a gallon for about $20. Somebody is making money off raw whiskey...
          Alex Netherton
          Blue Ridge Discovery