Re: [new_distillers] Small-scale cider distillation

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002

      From: Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 8:01 AM
      Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Small-scale cider distillation

      > 'Domestic Eaux-de-vie'

      http://www.beveragebusiness.com/art-arch/mmbreed05.html

      Interesting that they say that adding sugar to the fruit will increase the probability of hangovers.  I wonder what the mechanism for that is, given the earlier discussions that sugar cant make methanol, and that its the stems/pips etc in the fruit that are likely to be the contributors.
      Tony

      Quoting the relevant passage from that website:
      "Rupf said that most Alsatian distillers now add sugar to make their products easier to drink. That also makes them a little more likely to give hangovers"

      Would it be that making their products "easier to drink" holds a clue?  If you drink more of a flavored spirit then the chances of ending up with a hangover would seem to be higher than if you drink less.
      Mike

    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
        On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:34:19 +1200
        "Mike Nixon" <mike@...> wrote:

        > Quoting the relevant passage from that website:
        > "Rupf said that most Alsatian distillers now add sugar to make their
        > products easier to drink. That also makes them a little more likely to
        > give hangovers"
        >
        > Would it be that making their products "easier to drink" holds a clue?
        > If you drink more of a flavored spirit then the chances of ending up
        > with a hangover would seem to be higher than if you drink less.

        I think we may be missing something here. My interpretation is that the
        sugar is being added to the distilled _product_ (as one does with
        extracts) rather than to the mash/must. This might make it 'easier to
        drink'.

        Adding amounts of sugar (as for a liqueur or cordial) to liquor will
        increase the quantity, if not the severity, of the aftereffects. Merry
        Christmas ;)

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
          Sugar- added spirit can potentially cause a worse hangover- not because of
          the sugar itself, but because yeast tends to produce more higher and lower
          alcohols when it is fermented in high sugar concentrations- I.e; there is
          less heads/tails/methanol to get rid of in a 10gallon batch of 10%abv, than
          in a five gallon batch of 20%abv. The heavier concentration of sugar causes
          the problem, not the source of fermentables.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
            Adding sugar to a distilled spirit does make it smoother, but it may mess up
            the blood glucose levels in acute cases of ethanol poisoning, and therefore,
            intensify the hangover.