Small-scale cider distillation

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
        > 'Domestic Eaux-de-vie'
        > http://www.beveragebusiness.com/art-arch/mmbreed05.html

        Interesting that they say that adding sugar to the fruit will increase the probability of hangovers. I wonder what the mechanism for that is, given the earlier discussions that sugar cant make methanol, and that its the stems/pips etc in the fruit that are likely to be the contributors.

        Tony
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002

          Interesting that they say that adding sugar to the fruit will increase the probability of hangovers.  I wonder what the mechanism for that is, given the earlier discussions that sugar cant make methanol, and that its the stems/pips etc in the fruit that are likely to be the contributors.
          Tony

          Quoting the relevant passage from that website:
          "Rupf said that most Alsatian distillers now add sugar to make their products easier to drink. That also makes them a little more likely to give hangovers"

          Would it be that making their products "easier to drink" holds a clue?  If you drink more of a flavored spirit then the chances of ending up with a hangover would seem to be higher than if you drink less.
          Mike

        • Dr. M. Legendre
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
            On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:34:19 +1200
            "Mike Nixon" <mike@...> wrote:

            > Quoting the relevant passage from that website:
            > "Rupf said that most Alsatian distillers now add sugar to make their
            > products easier to drink. That also makes them a little more likely to
            > give hangovers"
            >
            > Would it be that making their products "easier to drink" holds a clue?
            > If you drink more of a flavored spirit then the chances of ending up
            > with a hangover would seem to be higher than if you drink less.

            I think we may be missing something here. My interpretation is that the
            sugar is being added to the distilled _product_ (as one does with
            extracts) rather than to the mash/must. This might make it 'easier to
            drink'.

            Adding amounts of sugar (as for a liqueur or cordial) to liquor will
            increase the quantity, if not the severity, of the aftereffects. Merry
            Christmas ;)

            -- Dr. M. Legendre
          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
              Sugar- added spirit can potentially cause a worse hangover- not because of
              the sugar itself, but because yeast tends to produce more higher and lower
              alcohols when it is fermented in high sugar concentrations- I.e; there is
              less heads/tails/methanol to get rid of in a 10gallon batch of 10%abv, than
              in a five gallon batch of 20%abv. The heavier concentration of sugar causes
              the problem, not the source of fermentables.
            • ups474@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
                Adding sugar to a distilled spirit does make it smoother, but it may mess up
                the blood glucose levels in acute cases of ethanol poisoning, and therefore,
                intensify the hangover.