Re: Liebig question

  • Becool Stayslinky
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
      You won't have any problem filing out the ridge or the dimple inside. Just use a round file and take your time, you'll have it done before you know it.

      BC

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tallnskinny" <bigordead@...> wrote:

      > Ok I have read about liebigs and have read up on soldering so i think i can pull it off. My question however may be one i will get made fun of for. I am intending to make my liebig 32" x 1/2 inch covered by 24" x 3/4 inch pipe. My problem lies in getting the 1/2 inch pipe to slide through the 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 T conector. I don't have and don't want to buy a dremel tool and am kind of afraid i will mess up the entire T conector if I file it by hand. Is there an easy way or a secrete way of not screwing up the whole fitting????
      > Thanks for any input and sorry for the question which is appearly obvious to everyone else...

    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
        Try using soft copper for the interior tube, take a 1/2" tee and go to the soft copper isle and check and see what size will go into it easily.  The other thing to do is to crimp the internal piping almost closed but not quite and do it one direction and then 90 degrees opposite that.  Use a pair of vice grips to do it with as ou can adjust them perfectly.  This slows down the vapor and you get a better cooling effect.  Also you might want to use 1" outer pipe, you get more water thru it and cooling will be more effecient.  Let me know what happens...

        Jim

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tallnskinny" <bigordead@...> wrote:

          > Ok I have read about liebigs and have read up on soldering so i think i can pull it off. My question however may be one i will get made fun of for. I am intending to make my liebig 32" x 1/2 inch covered by 24" x 3/4 inch pipe. My problem lies in getting the 1/2 inch pipe to slide through the 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 T conector. I don't have and don't want to buy a dremel tool and am kind of afraid i will mess up the entire T conector if I file it by hand. Is there an easy way or a secrete way of not screwing up the whole fitting????
          > Thanks for any input and sorry for the question which is appearly obvious to everyone else...

          Try this...

          The "NO-Solder-Liegig Condenser

        • Jerry McCullough
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2013
          Attached is a drawing of the arm that I built. Use Microsoft paint to view it.

          Ok I have read about liebigs and have read up on soldering so i think i can pull it off. My question however may be one i will get made fun of for. I am intending to make my liebig 32" x 1/2 inch covered by 24" x 3/4 inch pipe. My problem lies in getting the 1/2 inch pipe to slide through the 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 T conector. I don't have and don't want to buy a dremel tool and am kind of afraid i will mess up the entire T conector if I file it by hand. Is there an easy way or a secrete way of not screwing up the whole fitting????
          Thanks for any input and sorry for the question which is appearly obvious to everyone else...

        • tallnskinny
          Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2013
            Thank you guys for the input and encouragement. Obviously I am moving slowly with my build but my liebig is done. working when i have time it my not be beautiful but its all me and i'm happy with it. I do however have another question: I found a person on E bay who sales 2" pipe and says for a $5 fee they will flang one end and that will suffice to use it with a tri clamp onto a keg. will it actually work size wise. obviously i will need a seal between the two. also would it be strong enough even for light easy use??? Has anyone else tried this??
          • jsutton_co
            Message 6 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
              tallnskinny:

              I've emailed that guy to ask if he could braze vs solder (answer: NO) and use a food grade silver solder (answer: NO).

              So that ended my discussion with him. It'll cost more than his fee, but I can get the right Safety-Silv 45 at Home Depot and a Mapp gas can.