Re: [new_distillers] Re: What is the downside of quick distilling?

  • Jerry McCullough
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
      Whenever you boil any type of alcohol/water mixture, you never get just alcohol. Its always a water/alcohol mix. The faster you boil, the more water you mix with the alcohol, therefore the quality of the alcohol decreases substantially. Also you do not have just ethanol in your mash, there are several other alcohols present, some of which are undesireable. The faster you boil, there is less opportunity to separate the ethanol from the undesireables.

      Fast boiling is ok for stripping runs, but to do spirit runs you need a slow boil with fine temperature control. I doubt that your tarp method for temperature control will result in the fine control that you need to adequately separate the alcohols.

      Basically, I feel that your idea for quick distilling is fine for stripping runs and a total bust for spirit runs.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
        Good answer. I encountered another possible issue that might keep me from refluxing. I fear too much alcohol in contact wth the glass tube gaskets might break them down. I'm going to do an experiment on one of my spare gaskets this weekend. As for the controlling the heat, I think it can be done. With what I know of this unit I would probably need to keep the tubes mostly covered throughout the run, assuming there is full sun maybe 3/4 covered. I would plan a roll up setup on a tarp and furl or unfurl as needed.

        For anyone unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here is a solar hot water (non-pressurized) open tube system simillar to mine. Each tube holds roughly 2 litres of fluid:

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/SolarTec-USA-Hot-Water-System-SP-S58-1800A-30-ON-SALE-Call-818-78SOLAR-/170981119789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cf44d72d

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

        > Whenever you boil any type of alcohol/water mixture, you never get just alcohol. Its always a water/alcohol mix. The faster you boil, the more water you mix with the alcohol, therefore the quality of the alcohol decreases substantially. Also you do not have just ethanol in your mash, there are several other alcohols present, some of which are undesireable. The faster you boil, there is less opportunity to separate the ethanol from the undesireables.
        >
        > Fast boiling is ok for stripping runs, but to do spirit runs you need a slow boil with fine temperature control. I doubt that your tarp method for temperature control will result in the fine control that you need to adequately separate the alcohols.
        >
        > Basically, I feel that your idea for quick distilling is fine for stripping runs and a total bust for spirit runs.

      • richaaard
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
          What about the idea of a thumper?...or two?