Temperature question

  • hexonx_onx
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
      Hi,
      Doing my first run on a compound still, a PDA-1, I'm waiting 2 hours for it to reach equilibrium, and nearing the end of that period now. I figured the vapor temperature would be around 60C though, for the foreshots. instead it has settled on 77.8C. This is from a simple corn sugar wash. I only thought it would be 60C due to my possibly incorrect understanding of what I read in Compleat Distiller. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path here, is 77/78C ok or should it be lower as I had thought?
    • David Eastham
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
        There's not a problem with that temperature. Most important to keep refluxing till you get a steady temperature. I have a digital thermometer which reads 76.5c all the way through the heads and middles. I thought this was too low until I measured the thermometer against a lab glass thermometer. It was about 1.5-2.0 degree Centigrade too low. I dont need to get a new thermometer, just run it every time at the 76.5 mark knowing the real temp is around 78.1c. Don't get too hung up at hitting 78.1 C every time, most cheap digital thermometers will not be spot on. Steady temperature is more important. I've never had anything coming off my PDA1 as low as 60c. I can run at 600-700ml per hour to get 93/94% purity. I have hit 95% but at a slower rate and taste was no different so I compromise at the faster rate/lower ABV. I have the extension column by the way.
        Cheers
        Dave E

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
          If you're interested I uploaded a file on the distillers group named Trial vodka 1. This details what temp, amount heads and tails i get from my PDA 1.
          Cheers
          Dave E

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hexonx_onx" <hexonx_onx@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Doing my first run on a compound still, a PDA-1, I'm waiting 2 hours for it to reach equilibrium, and nearing the end of that period now. I figured the vapor temperature would be around 60C though, for the foreshots. instead it has settled on 77.8C. This is from a simple corn sugar wash. I only thought it would be 60C due to my possibly incorrect understanding of what I read in Compleat Distiller. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path here, is 77/78C ok or should it be lower as I had thought?

        • mike salyers
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
            I can't seem to find the file you uploaded, any way that you could send it to me.  I just got myself a PDA-1!

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
              No problem just send an e mail to deastham@... and I will reply with the attachment. You'll need Excel.
              Cheers
              Dave E

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
                My email did not show up its deastham at hotmail dot com