Re: [new_distillers] Newbie

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 10, 2013
      hillbilly stills sells some.  as well as a few other places i cant think of off top of my head.  you could also use glass jars and charred sticks

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM, freebee049 <smokeit@...> wrote:

      Hi all,
      I guess i'm the newest. Let me introduce myself to your group.
      My nick name is freebee and I live live in south central PA.
      New to distilling and need to learn a lot. Purchased a 8 gallon still off the net and about to run my first batch. I like to do everything I can from home, beer brewing, wine brewing, butchering, curing meat, sausage making, etc.
      Just sprouted a bucket of corn and put it in the food drier this morning. Going to make a fine rye whiskey. Already have a grain mill and all the equipment from brewing beer and wine.
      The only thing I do not have is a good source to purchase oak barrels with a good char. If you can't post it well you please send the info to me off group.
      thanks, freebee

    • RLB
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 11, 2014
        Yeah go figure, we can own a still, and we can make beer, wort, and wash legally.  Once you put the two together, then we can end up in jail.  We can make all of the ethanol bio-fuel we want legally with a TTB permit, but you have to make it undrinkable by adding chemicals such as gasoline.  In two US states, its now legal to grow your own pot, and you can now buy pot over the counter in those states.  Almost every state in the US allows medical pot.

        With this in mind, it might be time for us to change state regulations rather then focusing on changing TTB Regulations through the US Senate to allow hobby distilling.  Alli's and other's efforts are commendable, but it will not be easy to change Fed Regulations as a whole.

        I for one will focus my efforts on trying to change New York State House and Senate minds on hobby distilling.  What can the TTB really do if New York State legalizes hobby distilling?  I will stress hobby distilling as a stepping stone and training tool for future legal Pico, Nano, and Micro distilleries here in New York State.  Pico, Nano, and Micro distilleries would provide new jobs and add extra taxes to NYS's coffers.  All of that extra grain required to produce spirits will help agriculture in NYS.  New taxes and jobs should be enough to sell legal hobby distilling in NYS.

        Robert