>>Activated coal/carbon

  • Stephane J. Grand
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 10 5:51 AM
      Dear Group,
      I have "smuggled" some activated coal into China, and am wondering about how to use it properly. That is, I do not know how much I should put in the distillate to take off sharpness and clinging off-flavors. The main thing is that I have 2kgs of it and am seeing the coming season as pretty tough if I have to use half of my stash in my first 2 gallons of product.
      Also, is there a way to re-use the activated coal that has been used once by washing it or "scrubbing it"?
      All the best,
      Stephane
    • Stephane J. Grand
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 10 2:34 PM
          Take and get a 2" piece of PVC pipe, put a cap on one end and drill a .040 hole in it.  On the other end go from the 2" to 4" via an adapter.  Fill the pipe half full of your carbon and put it into a pail to catch the distillate.  This will hold about a gallon of product and will take several hours to run thru.  Oh, just remembered before you use your carbon, boil it in water to remove unwanted by-products of production.  You can filter several gallons of distillate before you have to clean the carbon.  this is done by simply putting it into boiling water until there is no smell coming from the water.  The and all the "baddies" will be boiled off the carbon and its good to go again.  Simply put it back into the pvc pipe and its ready to go(let it drain for a while before using).  Before you use your filter, always run a quart of boiling water thru it to open the cells of the carbon.  I have used the same carbon for six years now with no problems, you do loose a little in this process, but not much.  Cheers.!

          Jim

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 10 3:35 PM
            Stephane-
             Activated charcoal can be cleaned in an oven.  Wash it out the best you can by rinsing it in a few change of distilled water and then dry it in an oven at around 200°F - 250°F (93C - 121C) for an hour.
            WB

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 11 9:29 PM

              I thought that plastic was pretty much verboten, when using distilled spirits… The PVC may be cheap, but is it safe?

              Ahandyman59

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 11 10:28 PM
                This is the kind of answer you hate: It is, and it isn't (verboten). The term "plastic" covers alot of compounds and mixtures of compounds. Only a few of them are workable with high-ABV ethanol, but tinight I can't remember exactly which ones. The following chart should help.
                Note also that temperature makes a difference. To decode the "plastics", the ones I recognize are low-density polyethylene, high-density polyetheylene, polypropylene (and that PS can't be polystyrene, can it?)

                Note that polyvinyl chloride (PVC) isn't there, and personally, I wouldn't use it for a filert.

                Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ahandyman59" <rdh2059@...> wrote:

                > I thought that plastic was pretty much verboten, when using distilled spirits… The PVC may be cheap, but is it safe?
                >

                > Ahandyman59

              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 11 10:31 PM
                  My bad. Left out the link.

                  http://www.tedpella.com/company_html/PlasticsChemResistance.htm

                  Zymurgy Bob

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 11 11:57 PM

                    PolyPropylene (PP) Resin Code

                    This is the one you want.  All the chem mass tfer suppliers are using it for column internals.  Check out its suitability for ethanol on the chart ZB posted a link to.

                    ==============================

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 12 6:45 AM
                      Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for years with no problems.  I use the same pvc that is used for water pipes, hence food grade!  The distillate is not hot when filtered, merely warm.  I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you.  Cautious is one thing, over the edge on the right is another.  Use your own common sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...

                      Jim

                      This is the one you want.  All the chem mass tfer suppliers are using it for column internals.  Check out its suitability for ethanol on the chart ZB posted a link to.
                      ==============================

                      > My bad. Left out the link.
                      >

                      > http://www.tedpella.com/company_html/PlasticsChemResistance.htm
                      >
                      > Zymurgy Bob
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This is the kind of answer you hate: It is, and it isn't (verboten). The
                      > > term "plastic" covers alot of compounds and mixtures of compounds. Only
                      > > a few of them are workable with high-ABV ethanol, but tinight I can't
                      > > remember exactly which ones. The following chart should help.
                      > > Note also that temperature makes a difference. To decode the "plastics",
                      > > the ones I recognize are low-density polyethylene, high-density
                      > > polyetheylene, polypropylene (and that PS can't be polystyrene, can it?)
                      > >
                      > > Note that polyvinyl chloride (PVC) isn't there, and personally, I
                      > > wouldn't use it for a filert.
                      > >
                      > > Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.
                      > >
                      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                      > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>

                    • edbar44
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 12 6:56 AM
                        I'm curious as to how much filtration people are getting from their GAC? I was using a 1.25" X 60" copper column for filtering but had problems with copper residue so I went to a 2" X 60" stainless column. The copper was filtering anywhere from 20-30 liters before I noticed any flavors coming through, the stainless column has been going over 30 liters and still seems clean. The copper held just about 50 ounces of GAC, and haven't measure the 2" column yet, only have the second carbon change in it now.

                        What's the best carbon to use? I've read the Gert Activated Carbon book and it has many examples, just asking what the groups thinks. BTW, this is vodka, of course.
                      • tgfoitwoods
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 12 7:43 AM
                          Jim,

                          I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".

                          Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but disintegrate when used to  oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the stuff the plastic loses.

                          This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider.:)

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                          > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for years with no problems.  I use the same pvc that is used for water pipes, hence food grade!  The distillate is not hot when filtered, merely warm.  I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you.  Cautious is one thing, over the edge on the right is another.  Use your own common sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                          >
                          > Jim
                          >
                          > ________________________________
                          ----snip----
                        • local yokel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 12 8:29 AM
                            I would agree that there is a difference between water and alcohol affect on plastics. It does make a difference the specific type of plastic it comes in contact with. Since I'm basically too lazy to keep track of what is ok and is not, so I just avoid it. IMO it is much easier to adjust the ferment or process to avoid having the need for charcoal filtering. Though I probably don't seek perfection as strongly as some do.

                            > Jim,
                            >
                            > I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable
                            > exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".
                            >
                            > Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but
                            > disintegrate when used to oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the
                            > plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale
                            > hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you
                            > use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the
                            > stuff the plastic loses.
                            >
                            > This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider. [:)]

                            > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                            >

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for
                            > years with no problems. Â I use the same pvc that is used for water
                            > pipes, hence food grade! Â The distillate is not hot when filtered,
                            > merely warm. Â I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many
                            > that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you. Â Cautious is one
                            > thing, over the edge on the right is another. Â Use your own common
                            > sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                            > > Jim
                            > >
                            > > ________________________________
                            > ----snip----

                          • Jim Graves
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 12 9:49 AM
                              My preference is peat carbon

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 12 9:53 AM
                                Oh I know that there are some plastics that alcohol just totally destroy, to date the pvc is not one of them, at least that I can descern.  Dosen't mean that it does not happen but consider that the alcohol is only in it for about a hour or so, just while draining thru the carbon.  I don't and haven't used anything plastic in alcohol that isn't food grade, meaning its usually inpervous to the effects of alcohol.  just my thoughts use what you can of them and throw the rest away!

                                Jim

                                I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".

                                Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but disintegrate when used to  oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the stuff the plastic loses.

                                This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider.:)

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                                > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for years with no problems.  I use the same pvc that is used for water pipes, hence food grade!  The distillate is not hot when filtered, merely warm.  I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you.  Cautious is one thing, over the edge on the right is another.  Use your own common sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                                >
                                > Jim
                                >
                                > ________________________________
                                ----snip----

                              • Jim Graves
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 12 9:57 AM
                                  I do agree with you about the perfection thingie, I was using it, the filter when I was using turbo yeast and was getting terrible, horrible tastes out of the product and the carbon filter removed all of that.  I now am just running ujsm and I'm just finished with the 5th run, actually right at the moment I am running brandy.  I had about 12 gallons of muscadine wine that did not turn out well enough to drink so I added 12 lbs of sugar and a packet of 1118 and two weeks later I'm running it.  I have a quart so far at 80% and smells really nice.  We'll see what happens in the end....cheers!
                                  Jim

                                  yahoogroups.com
                                  Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:29 AM

                                  I would agree that there is a difference between water and alcohol affect on plastics. It does make a difference the specific type of plastic it comes in contact with. Since I'm basically too lazy to keep track of what is ok and is not, so I just avoid it. IMO it is much easier to adjust the ferment or process to avoid having the need for charcoal filtering. Though I probably don't seek perfection as strongly as some do.

                                  > Jim,
                                  >
                                  > I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable
                                  > exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".
                                  >
                                  > Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but
                                  > disintegrate when used to oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the
                                  > plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale
                                  > hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you
                                  > use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the
                                  > stuff the plastic loses.
                                  >
                                  > This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider. [:)]

                                  > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                                  >

                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for
                                  > years with no problems. Â I use the same pvc that is used for water
                                  > pipes, hence food grade! Â The distillate is not hot when filtered,
                                  > merely warm. Â I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many
                                  > that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you. Â Cautious is one
                                  > thing, over the edge on the right is another. Â Use your own common
                                  > sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                                  > > Jim
                                  > >
                                  > > ________________________________
                                  > ----snip----

                                • tgfoitwoods
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 12 10:28 AM
                                    ...and I agree totally with both Yokel and Jim.  Many distillers are carbon filtering to remove bad flavors that were created in the fermentation, sometimes from poor yeast nutrition and sometimes from some of the terrible-tasting turbos that are out there. No I don't remember which turbos are the worst offenders; I don't use turbos.

                                    I'm a firm believer that a ferment that takes good care of its yeast produces by far the nicest flavors.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                                    > I do agree with you about the perfection thingie, I was using it, the filter when I was using turbo yeast and was getting terrible, horrible tastes out of the product and the carbon filter removed all of that.  I now am just running ujsm and I'm just finished with the 5th run, actually right at the moment I am running brandy.  I had about 12 gallons of muscadine wine that did not turn out well enough to drink so I added 12 lbs of sugar and a packet of 1118 and two weeks later I'm running it.  I have a quart so far at 80% and smells really nice.  We'll see what happens in the end....cheers!
                                    > Jim
                                    >

                                    > yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    > Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:29 AM
                                    > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: >>Activated coal/carbon
                                    >

                                    > I would agree that there is a difference between water and alcohol affect on plastics. It does make a difference the specific type of plastic it comes in contact with. Since I'm basically too lazy to keep track of what is ok and is not, so I just avoid it. IMO it is much easier to adjust the ferment or process to avoid having the need for charcoal filtering. Though I probably don't seek perfection as strongly as some do.
                                    >
                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" zymurgybob@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Jim,
                                    > >
                                    > > I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable
                                    > > exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".
                                    > >
                                    > > Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but
                                    > > disintegrate when used to oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the
                                    > > plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale
                                    > > hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you
                                    > > use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the
                                    > > stuff the plastic loses.
                                    > >
                                    > > This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider. [:)]
                                    > >
                                    > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                                    > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for
                                    > > years with no problems. Â I use the same pvc that is used for water
                                    > > pipes, hence food grade! Â The distillate is not hot when filtered,
                                    > > merely warm. Â I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many
                                    > > that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you. Â Cautious is one
                                    > > thing, over the edge on the right is another. Â Use your own common
                                    > > sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                                    > > > Jim
                                    > > >
                                    > > > ________________________________
                                    > > ----snip----

                                  • michael raphael
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 12 11:44 AM
                                      "I don't and haven't used anything plastic in alcohol that isn't food grade, meaning its usually inpervous to the effects of alcohol."

                                      Im not sure about this one.  My understanding is that just because it is food grade doesn't necessarily mean that it is impervious to alcohol.  I usually go by materials of construction and compatibility charts.  Thoughts anyone?

                                      Oh I know that there are some plastics that alcohol just totally destroy, to date the pvc is not one of them, at least that I can descern.  Dosen't mean that it does not happen but consider that the alcohol is only in it for about a hour or so, just while draining thru the carbon.  I don't and haven't used anything plastic in alcohol that isn't food grade, meaning its usually inpervous to the effects of alcohol.  just my thoughts use what you can of them and throw the rest away!

                                      Jim

                                      I can't argue with you about your success, but I can offer two notable exceptions to your "if it's ok for water, it'll work for alcohol".

                                      Thhe first is aquarium airstones that work forever in water, but disintegrate when used to  oxygenate oaked spirits. The second is the plastic hydrometer jars that come with the brewer's triple-scale hydrometer; they work fine with wine, beer, wash, or water, but when you use them for distillate, they claoud and crumble, and you drink the stuff the plastic loses.

                                      This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider.:)

                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                                      > Well heres my answer to everyones concerns, I have been using it for years with no problems.  I use the same pvc that is used for water pipes, hence food grade!  The distillate is not hot when filtered, merely warm.  I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by many that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you.  Cautious is one thing, over the edge on the right is another.  Use your own common sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...
                                      >
                                      > Jim
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________
                                      ----snip----

                                    • local yokel
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 12 12:36 PM
                                        Fermentation is the key to good hooch... no doubt about it. the old saying "garbage in - garbage out" comes to mind. The biggest improvement I found for my distilling was to allow the wash to "cold settle" for a couple days after fermentation ceases. This let's the yeast fall and a nice clear wash be heated. I could taste the difference immediately.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 12 12:37 PM
                                          Jim,
                                          Can you guarantee absolutely that what you have is actually PVC? PVC is being phased out.
                                          Many pipes these days are actually PP polypropylene. See if there's a recycle stamp on it. PP has A "5" surrounded by a triangle of arrows. PVC has a "3".

                                          More info...

                                          Some cities only recycle certain numbers, while other cities will accept any plastics, regardless of stamp. Here is a brief rundown of what your plastics recycling numbers mean.

                                          Recycling Plastic #1:
                                          You'll see a PETE or PET stamped under the number one. This indicates that these plastics are made with polyethylene terephtalate; normally clear and generally safe. PETE is used most often in the manufacture of bottles that contain beverages: soda, water and sports drinks. Because these containers have a porous surface, they allow bacteria to accumulate over time. Consumers should recycle these plastics rather than reusing them as storage containers.

                                          Recycling Plastic #2:
                                          The HDPE stamp, along with the number two, can be found on milk jugs, juice bottles and detergent bottles. High-density polyethylene is normally opaque and considered safe. Almost all recyclers accept plastic #2.

                                          Recycling Plastic #3:
                                          Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is used for cooking oil bottles, plastic food wrap and plastic pipes. Plastic #3 is generally considered unsafe to be used near food that is being cooked! Consumers should never cook with food wrap or use it to store warmed food that will be consumed later or reheated. Some recycling centers will not accept PVC.

                                          Recycling Plastic #4:
                                          Under the stamped number four, you'll find LDPE, or low-density polyethylene. This type of plastic is used for plastic shopping bags and bread bags. The plastic, thanks to its flexibility, is also used to make squeezable bottles. Though the plastic is considered safe, it is often not accepted by recycling centers.

                                          Recycling Plastic #5:
                                          Polypropylene is found in yogurt containers, medicine bottles and condiment bottles. Most recycling centers will accept plastic #5 as it is generally considered safe.

                                          Recycling Plastic #6:
                                          Commonly known as Styrofoam, polystyrene has been well known to Americans for years. Not only used for plates and cups, Styrofoam can also be found in hubcaps and other goods. Plastic #6 is next to impossible to recycle and should never be used in the microwave as the plastic leaches toxic chemicals when heated

                                          Recycling Plastic #7:
                                          Number seven is the catchall category. The plastic can be found in iPhones, baby bottles, riot shields and even auto headlights. If you've heard of the recent concerns with BPA, you're not alone. This plastic, included in category seven, can leach chemicals, just as those found in category six. Many products are now labeled as BPA free to protect consumers and allow them to make smart buying decisions

                                          Glainte!
                                          regards Harry
                                          ===============

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                                          > Oh I know that there are some plastics that alcohol just totally destroy, to date the pvc is not one of them, at least that I can descern.  Dosen't mean that it does not happen but consider that the alcohol is only in it for about a hour or so, just while draining thru the carbon.  I don't and haven't used anything plastic in alcohol that isn't food grade, meaning its usually inpervous to the effects of alcohol.  just my thoughts use what you can of them and throw the rest away!
                                          >
                                          > Jim
                                        • Jim Graves
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 12 12:55 PM
                                            I know that there are no guarantees in life...the pvc that I have is years old and came from charlotte pipe in NC. It has stamps on it but beyond recognition now.  The PP as I understand it is even better then pvc, don't know.  The best bet is to just use good yeast, be carefull with it, let it settle out, distill it slowly and drink hardily!!!!!

> [...]

                                            Glainte!
                                            regards Harry
                                            ===============

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                                            > Oh I know that there are some plastics that alcohol just totally destroy, to date the pvc is not one of them, at least that I can descern.  Dosen't mean that it does not happen but consider that the alcohol is only in it for about a hour or so, just while draining thru the carbon.  I don't and haven't used anything plastic in alcohol that isn't food grade, meaning its usually inpervous to the effects of alcohol.  just my thoughts use what you can of them and throw the rest away!

                                          • White Bear
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 12 2:36 PM
                                              There are two items I would like to touch on:
                                              First, if you are really worried about the type of plastic you use in your filtering gizmos, just find a plastic booze bottle (or a few) and use that to contain your carbon for filyering.  Around here they just throw them away, you can ask the bartender to save you a couple.
                                              Secondly, if you are having off flavors in your product maybe you should look at how fast you are distilling.  If I over power my still (pot still now) and do an initial stripping run, I can really tell the quality of the distillate, off flavors, yeasty, foggu looking strip.  I power down the burner and it clears up.  Just my two cents worth and my opinion, but I don't think I'm too far off.
                                              WB

                                              --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > > stuff the plastic loses.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > This is not just theory; I used to be even stupider. [:)]
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                                              > > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                                              > > >

                                              > > > --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@>

                                              > for
                                              > > > years with no problems. Â I use the same pvc that is used for
                                              > water
                                              > > > pipes, hence food grade! Â The distillate is not hot when
                                              > filtered,
                                              > > > merely warm. Â I for one do not get too concerned by beliefs by
                                              > many
                                              > > > that "everything" is bad or is going to kill you. Â Cautious is
                                              > one
                                              > > > thing, over the edge on the right is another. Â Use your own
                                              > common
                                              > > > sense, if its ok for water, it'll work for alcohol...

                                            • jsducote
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 13 12:48 PM
                                                Be careful: Old PVC may contain lead. According to the webs, CPVC can be used with ethanol, but if there are other alcohols in your distillate they may react and leech something even nastier into your hooch. If you can't build yourself a copper carbon filter, do what someone else suggested and cut the bottom out of a cheap plastic bottle from the liquor store.

                                                Charcoal filtering is, in my opinion, perfectly acceptable. While not exactly the gold standard, Jack Daniel's makes no secret of their 10' column of drip filtering.
                                                -j

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 13 4:55 PM
                                                  True enough, but activated carbon and maple charcoal are two entirely different beasts.