Modifying Zymurgy Bob's still design to make it convertible

  • Rob Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
      I'm planning to build the 5 gal still described in Bob's book Making Fine Spirits. But I figure as long as I'm at it, why not make it convertible from a pot still to a reflux? I've seen this feature advertised in commercial stills, and it seems to involve inserting an extra length of pipe in the riser, with something like copper pot scrubbers stuffed into it.

      Assuming this is correct, how much additional length is desirable? (The riser in the original pot still design is about 20"). What's the right place to insert the packing? And assuming it all works, how does one control the amount of refluxing that occurs?

      Any other tips on this idea greatly appreciated!
    • Chris Cameron
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2013
        Why not just put in a couple of thumpers?