Re: [new_distillers] Re: Forum abuse

  • Fredrick Lee
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
      In the world of intellectual property, it's  widely presumed the best money making ideas need to be kept secret. That presumption is incorrect. Take a world famous musical artist for example, they make a product that can be copied by anyone, quite easily, just by recording it. The protection they receive from copyright law is insignificant to the protection they receive through their product/brand association.

      Another way to look at it is if I started selling "The Compleet Distiller" (a new revised compendium of distillation techniques and apparatus), you guys would certainly know that it would be a bogus knock-off and refuse to buy it, probably even take some action against me selling it. Since you would be most of my market for such a scandalous publication, I would inherently be unable to capitalize from it.

      The moral of the story is, if you have access to your market, tell them what you're doing, it will protect your property much more than copyrights.

      There are four levels of intellectual property:

      1. Patents protect inventions, designs, and business methods.  They do not provide the right for you, but rather prevent others from making it in the same manner.
      2. Trademarks provide source identification with the potential to create consumer goodwill.  It is the responsibility of the trademark owner to protect the trademark.  If it is not protected, you lose the trademark.
      3. Copyrights protect tangible expression of original ideas.  Said another way, you protect the literal copy of the idea, but not the idea itself.
      4. Trade Secrets are secret business information kept (hopefully) within a company.  It is the protection of the secret sauce, or the secret formula.
      Regardless of what category the ideas fall into, they all require defensibility, and that requires establishing who owns what, when.

      On Mar 7, 2013, at 7:45 AM, self.adhesive@... wrote:

      "I would be interested to hear why a post to a new distillers group is the best way to market a revolutionary new alcohol separation process. Sound to me more like a separate me from my money process. ;)"

      This is the point where this thread went haywire. Robert, I think you may have misinterpreted this comment. I didn't read it as meaning you would scam people of their money.

      What I read was that it would not be wise to share a new idea with a bunch of strangers if you wanted to make money from it...because you would lose control and ownership of your new idea - thus YOU would be the one separated from your money.

      Correct me if I'm wrong.
      Paul