Boiler for ministills

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
      >From UPS474:
      After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized I needed to
      put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the 5liter "gallon can"
      minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen- inspiration struck!
      I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small aperature on
      the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed to hold some
      pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from homebrew shops when
      empty. Some liquor stores sell them full of euroimport beers.)- fitting it
      with a small jacketed condensor would make a small stovetop still that could
      easily hold a gallon of fruitwine/grain mash to make a nice schnaps/whiskey!
      I've filled a "gallon can" with 4 liters of water, and set it in a stock pot.
      I then brought this "jacketed pot" to a boil- the seams all held, and no odd
      flavors/colors appeared in the water after an hour of being full of boiling
      water!! With a cork #3stopper, and some copper tubing, these little minikegs
      can be made into handy little stovetop stills (perfect for the USA- the BATF
      on it's own website admits that it won't bother to prosecute a case against
      someone with a still of only one gallon capacity). HURRAY
      I thought as a new still design came to me. DAMMIT! I thought as the
      hour-long trip to the plumbing shop loomed up in my mind, as I stand in the
      copper aisle trying to fit seemingly random parts together. The thing has
      passed the boil test- as soon as I can, I'll make a condensor and let you
      know how it goes.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
        Hey, TERRIFIC IDEA! I have been looking around hdwe stores for just this sort
        of thing! However, I am not much of a beer drinker. But my neighbour is a 24-hr
        beer fan, so I may just give him the beer - as long as I get the barrel back.

        Also - while on a drive out in the Nova Scotia countryside I did see an antique
        clothes washer/ wringer machine, the hand-cracked variety - with a large Copper
        washing/water container. Just the thing for a large kettle, but I decided to go
        for s.s. when I make the switch to a larger kettle.
        John V
        Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

        > >From UPS474:
        > After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized I needed to
        > put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the 5liter "gallon can"
        > minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen- inspiration struck!
        > I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small aperature on
        > the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed to hold some
        > pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from homebrew shops when
        > empty.
      • Rev. David M. Cunningham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
          On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:46:57 +1200
          Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:

          T> From UPS474:
          T> After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized I needed to
          T> put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the 5liter "gallon can"
          T> minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen- inspiration struck!
          T> I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small aperature on
          T> the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed to hold some
          T> pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from homebrew shops when
          T> empty.

          So, by what names do these "gallon cans" go by? I've tried to do a
          search online for them, but I found a wide variety of things that may or
          may not be exactly what you are talking about. I'm interested in
          retiring my 4l stove-top pot still which only allows me to do 2 to 3 l
          at a time -- depending on what goes through it. I would like to use the
          4l solely for oil distillation and use the 5l "gallon can" as my small
          run gallon still for alcohol.

          Any direction as to where one in the states could purchase one or two
          would be greatly appreciated (online would be best). Thanks.

          Sincerely,
          Rev. David M. Cunningham
        • lfellowsburnsville
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2002
            --- In new_distillers@y..., Rev. David M. Cunningham <distiller@e...>
            wrote:
            > On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:46:57 +1200
            > Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
            >
            > T> From UPS474:
            > T> After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized
            I needed to
            > T> put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the
            5liter "gallon can"
            > T> minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen-
            inspiration struck!
            > T> I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small
            aperature on
            > T> the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed
            to hold some
            > T> pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from
            homebrew shops when
            > T> empty.
            >

            > So, by what names do these "gallon cans" go by? I've tried to do a
            > search online for them, but I found a wide variety of things that
            may or
            > may not be exactly what you are talking about. I'm interested in
            > retiring my 4l stove-top pot still which only allows me to do 2 to
            3 l
            > at a time -- depending on what goes through it. I would like to use
            the
            > 4l solely for oil distillation and use the 5l "gallon can" as my
            small
            > run gallon still for alcohol.
            >
            > Any direction as to where one in the states could purchase one or
            two
            > would be greatly appreciated (online would be best). Thanks.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Rev. David M. Cunningham

            my brother came home with a 1.32 gallon miny-keg not to long ago it
            has a hole in the top and a built in tapper the name was "BITburger"