RE: [new_distillers] Boiler insulation?

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002

      Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make thermal resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a couple of metres.

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
        > Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make
        thermal
        > resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a
        couple of
        > metres.
        >
        > Yours' in Spirit!
        >
        > Robert

        A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
        backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
        they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
        if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
        retain heat in your boiler. (They were designed to retain the heat
        from you body)

        I no longer have a "space blanket" but have found that just draping
        an old Mexican wool blanket around my boiler increases heat up time
        by a half hour!

        > > Hi all,
        > > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the
        time
        > > it takes to do a run.
        >
        > We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil
        bubble
        > wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble
        wrap,
        > sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this
        material is
        > purported to be equivalent to R-12.
        >
        > It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told
        that it
        > is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable
        fruits. A
        > local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.
        >
        > Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the
        temperature
        > stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with
        and
        > seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding
        a 'cap' of
        > this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the
        efficiency
        > of that component.
        >
        > -- Dr. M. Legendre
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor