Re: [new_distillers] Boiler insulation?

  • Dr. M. Legendre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:44:37 -0000
      "bobbafett00" <bobbafett00@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
      > it takes to do a run.

      We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
      wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
      sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
      purported to be equivalent to R-12.

      It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
      is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
      local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

      Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
      stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
      seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
      this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
      of that component.

      -- Dr. M. Legendre
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002

        Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make thermal resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a couple of metres.

        Yours' in Spirit!

        Robert

        > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
        > it takes to do a run.

        We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
        wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
        sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
        purported to be equivalent to R-12.

        It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
        is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
        local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

        Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
        stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
        seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
        this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
        of that component.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre

      • pocoian2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
          > Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make
          thermal
          > resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a
          couple of
          > metres.
          >
          > Yours' in Spirit!
          >
          > Robert

          A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
          backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
          they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
          if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
          retain heat in your boiler. (They were designed to retain the heat
          from you body)

          I no longer have a "space blanket" but have found that just draping
          an old Mexican wool blanket around my boiler increases heat up time
          by a half hour!

          > > Hi all,
          > > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the
          time
          > > it takes to do a run.
          >
          > We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil
          bubble
          > wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble
          wrap,
          > sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this
          material is
          > purported to be equivalent to R-12.
          >
          > It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told
          that it
          > is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable
          fruits. A
          > local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.
          >
          > Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the
          temperature
          > stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with
          and
          > seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding
          a 'cap' of
          > this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the
          efficiency
          > of that component.
          >
          > -- Dr. M. Legendre
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor