Re: [new_distillers] Boiler insulation?

  • SSTOLI123@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
      Why not try to use Fiberglass insulation from your home supply store. the make them for insulating Hot water tanks.

      Steve
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:44:37 -0000
        "bobbafett00" <bobbafett00@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
        > it takes to do a run.

        We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
        wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
        sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
        purported to be equivalent to R-12.

        It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
        is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
        local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

        Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
        stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
        seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
        this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
        of that component.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002

          Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make thermal resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a couple of metres.

          Yours' in Spirit!

          Robert

          > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
          > it takes to do a run.

          We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
          wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
          sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
          purported to be equivalent to R-12.

          It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
          is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
          local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

          Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
          stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
          seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
          this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
          of that component.

          -- Dr. M. Legendre

        • pocoian2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
            > Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make
            thermal
            > resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a
            couple of
            > metres.
            >
            > Yours' in Spirit!
            >
            > Robert

            A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
            backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
            they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
            if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
            retain heat in your boiler. (They were designed to retain the heat
            from you body)

            I no longer have a "space blanket" but have found that just draping
            an old Mexican wool blanket around my boiler increases heat up time
            by a half hour!

            > > Hi all,
            > > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the
            time
            > > it takes to do a run.
            >
            > We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil
            bubble
            > wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble
            wrap,
            > sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this
            material is
            > purported to be equivalent to R-12.
            >
            > It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told
            that it
            > is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable
            fruits. A
            > local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.
            >
            > Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the
            temperature
            > stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with
            and
            > seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding
            a 'cap' of
            > this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the
            efficiency
            > of that component.
            >
            > -- Dr. M. Legendre
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor