RE: [new_distillers] Boiler insulation?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2002
      I use a good old fashioned blanket, although my heater's on the inside.

      Cheers,

      Steve

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • SSTOLI123@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
        Why not try to use Fiberglass insulation from your home supply store. the make them for insulating Hot water tanks.

        Steve
      • Dr. M. Legendre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:44:37 -0000
          "bobbafett00" <bobbafett00@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
          > it takes to do a run.

          We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
          wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
          sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
          purported to be equivalent to R-12.

          It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
          is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
          local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

          Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
          stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
          seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
          this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
          of that component.

          -- Dr. M. Legendre
        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002

            Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make thermal resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a couple of metres.

            Yours' in Spirit!

            Robert

            > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
            > it takes to do a run.

            We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
            wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
            sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
            purported to be equivalent to R-12.

            It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
            is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
            local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

            Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
            stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
            seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
            this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
            of that component.

            -- Dr. M. Legendre

          • pocoian2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
              > Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make
              thermal
              > resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a
              couple of
              > metres.
              >
              > Yours' in Spirit!
              >
              > Robert

              A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
              backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
              they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
              if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
              retain heat in your boiler. (They were designed to retain the heat
              from you body)

              I no longer have a "space blanket" but have found that just draping
              an old Mexican wool blanket around my boiler increases heat up time
              by a half hour!

              > > Hi all,
              > > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the
              time
              > > it takes to do a run.
              >
              > We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil
              bubble
              > wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble
              wrap,
              > sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this
              material is
              > purported to be equivalent to R-12.
              >
              > It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told
              that it
              > is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable
              fruits. A
              > local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.
              >
              > Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the
              temperature
              > stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with
              and
              > seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding
              a 'cap' of
              > this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the
              efficiency
              > of that component.
              >
              > -- Dr. M. Legendre
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor