Forum abuse

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
      How does someone using an anonymous account get access to New Distiller forum? I thought New Distiller was created to share information and ideas. I guess some people would rather crush freedom of information and ideas in this forum. It's a shame that these types are allowed access to New Distillers.

      For the record, I have a idea that will allow instant separation of alcohol from water. I am in contact with companies as a means of acquiring this equipment for my experiments. If my idea works as planned, you will be able to remove alcohol from water at a rate of 1 gal per minute. At worst, my idea will fail and end up costing me a few hundred dollars. If my idea works, alcohol processing will be revolutionized by greatly reducing production costs.

      Robert
    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
        You're confident that the thousands of world's energy scientists haven't attempted this? I mean, you googled it, right?

        On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:37 AM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

        How does someone using an anonymous account get access to New Distiller forum? I thought New Distiller was created to share information and ideas. I guess some people would rather crush freedom of information and ideas in this forum. It's a shame that these types are allowed access to New Distillers.

        For the record, I have a idea that will allow instant separation of alcohol from water. I am in contact with companies as a means of acquiring this equipment for my experiments. If my idea works as planned, you will be able to remove alcohol from water at a rate of 1 gal per minute. At worst, my idea will fail and end up costing me a few hundred dollars. If my idea works, alcohol processing will be revolutionized by greatly reducing production costs.

        Robert

      • Brendan Keith
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
          Message
          No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

          --

          Brendan Keith

          bkeith@...

[...]

            Since I gave up hope, I feel a lot better!
          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
              At 09:13 AM 3/6/2013, you wrote:

              >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
              >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

              OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
              I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
              the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
              didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
              output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
              enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
              to...............................................

              Derek
            • RLB
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                The theory is sound, so we would have heard about it if they were currently using this process to extract alcohol from water.  So far, I have not come across this process ever being used during my research into distillation.  It should not cost me more than $300 to test this theory, but there are a few potential complications that must be address to make this work properly.  At worst it will need to be done in stages, and my experiments will reveal this.

                To answer your question honestly, it might not work properly in hugh bio-fuel fuel plants because of the shear quantity of distillate, but for us small produces it should save us time and money.  In theory, it should not take longer than 2 hrs from start to finish to run 50 gal of wash.  It takes me 4 to 5 hrs to run 2 gal of wash.  If this works, it will reduce my time to know more than 30 min from start to finish run my 2 gal wash.  Even 5 gal should not take more than 35 min to finish.  Its the start up part that actually takes the longest.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                  I love it!  A little foil hat on each bottle.  Lol!

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Everyone is skeptical about this, but let's give Robert his due.  He only said that we wants to spend a few hundred dollars to experiment and he conceded that it may all come to nothing.

                    @Robert:  If your idea is to use certain salts to separate ethanol from water, this is already known.  Somewhere, there is a youtube video demonstrating this.  I recall that they used some potassium salt to do this.  A collegue of mine tried plain old table salt (sodium chloride) and it did not work.  We are not sure why -- the core idea is the same (break the polarization that is the force that binds ethanol and water molecules together).  In any event, the technique is known, but is more expensive than distillation.

                    I do recommend googling around, as someone has already suggested, before investing hundreds of dollars.  There are a lot of ways to do this that are already known (e.g. freeze distillation, molecular sieves, salts, etc.) and it is helpful for you to know about what has already been tried and measured before trying to take something a step further.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                      Keep your money.  All I care about is increasing the rate and reducing the amount of time it takes me to distill my wash.  To me, the whole distillation process is based in the stone age, and something needs to change to improve the distillation process.

                      Robert

                      >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                      >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                      OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                      I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                      the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                      didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                      output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                      enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                      to...............................................

                      Derek

                    • Bill Rogers
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                        Robert, I would tend to believe that most of the people on this list are doubtful of your research and "experiments" because the majority of your posts are full of misinformation.   An example would be when you claimed that bakers yeast couldn't go higher then 4% abv in a wash, which is just plain wrong.  I don't intend for this post to be mean or to dissuade you form you enjoying your experiments.  I intend for it only to reinforce what others are saying and do your due diligence in research before trying to re-invent the wheel.

                        good luck!

                        On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                        Keep your money.  All I care about is increasing the rate and reducing the amount of time it takes me to distill my wash.  To me, the whole distillation process is based in the stone age, and something needs to change to improve the distillation process.

                        Robert

                        >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                        >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                        OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                        I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                        the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                        didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                        output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                        enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                        to...............................................

                        Derek

                      • local yokel
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                          I would be interested to hear why a post to a new distillers group is the best way to market a revolutionary new alcohol separation process. Sound to me more like a separate me from my money process. ;)
                        • RLB
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                            If it work, the information will be freely shared on this forum, or is that too costly for you?  Keep your money, you need it more than me.

                            Robert

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                              In fairness to the chap,

                              Some have been rather uncharitable in their comments. Yet its hard not to be cynical.

                              The margins for such products can be (dependent on the market) huge. Imagine how much Diageo make by reducing the strength of their brands by 2.5 % ABV (here anyway) so to think that the "big boys" aren't throwing millions at R&D is a little naive.

                              Yet if there is indeed a new idea/approach to speed things up some then great.

                              My limited knowlege means that the only things I can concieve would speed up the process would either be larger capacity or vacuum. Both of which would involve greater cost in energy and/or equipment....

                              Lastly, I do suspect that it might have been smarter to do the testing and experimentation stuff first then gone for the big announcement and not the other way round......

                              cheers..

                              fatbloke

                              local yokel <stridemiester@...> wrote:

                              I would be interested to hear why a post to a new distillers group is the best way to market a revolutionary new alcohol separation process. Sound to me more like a separate me from my money process. ;)

                            • TODP
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                Robert.. go for it!! I for one am waiting to see just what your up to!!  Been on this forum for some time now, I first got ridiculed with my first question, I then got a notice as to my behavior as to my postings!  I feel this group is a GREAT informational one, and I have learned a LOT from it! I do see where it is run by a certain few as ALL Internet groups are! Only because nobody else will do it or took or takes the ineptitude to do it! I give credit to the for-fathers of this group and I have been put in my place and have remained SILENT most the time and gleaning info for my OWN usage. I just think most are too quick to criticize without warrant but on the other hand run  a topic of blah info about yeasts or charred wood into the ground to no end that is ALREADY in the files and really doesn't have NEW pertinent matter!!  Great bunch a folks on here with a common interest! I for one have been ENJOYING the fruits of my educated labors of love distilling!!!   Good Luck!! An keep us informed with your progress!!!  ENJOY!!

                                ___________________________________

                                  I would be interested to hear why a post to a new distillers group is the best way to market a revolutionary new  alcohol separation process. Sound to me more like a separate me from my money process. ;)

                              • White Bear
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  Robert-
                                    I'm sure that you are much like me, someone says how inane an idea is the more you want to prove them wrong.  Go for it, if this amount of money doesn't affect your day-to-day existance, what do you have to lose??  If it DOES work, just what have you gained, a quicker way to distill a wash.  Something to keep in mind though, usually when you overpower your still, means the higher the temp, the quality of the distillate suffers.  There again, this is the standard way of distilling.  Personally, I am intregued in the process and would like to know the results.  Hey, I look good in aluminum hats.
                                  White Bear

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                    I agree with you that 4% abv was an error read on a web site that for some reason stuck.  Homedistiller.org stated it closer to 17% abv.  even my own experience I achieved 19% abv with bakers yeast.  Believe it our not I don't mind being corrected when I make an error.  I am not insulted when I am being corrected, and I freely admit when I am wrong.  How do I learn something new if you read one thing and other people with experience say something else?

                                    I am new to distilling, and most of what I know comes from what I have read on web sites.  Yes, I have done 6 or 7 stripping runs and 1 finish run, but that does not mean that I am an old timer with 10 generations worth of experience.  The only way that I will ever know what I read is correct, is when I share it with others.  If I am not corrected then the information I read is correct.

                                    I repeat: I thought this forum was based on sharing information and ideas!  I guess I was incorrect in that assumption.  Since this forum is not in place to share information and ideas, I will continue to read this forum to gleam information, but I will go silent on my information and ideas.  For the people who think I am involved in a scam to get your money.  This will be my last post.

                                    Robert

                                    >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                                    >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                                    OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                                    I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                                    the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                                    didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                                    output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                                    enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                                    to...............................................

                                    Derek

                                  • Bill Rogers

                                      >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                                      >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                                      OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                                      I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                                      the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                                      didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                                      output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                                      enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                                      to...............................................

                                      Derek

                                    • Jim Graves
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                        I for one, agree with you, if you come up with an idea that helps someone, or all, share it with all.  The money will come after you do that.
                                        For me any idea that helps produce a product quicker is a good idea, please keep me on your mailing list of people that are interested in your idea (invention).  Best of luck with it.

                                        James D. Graves

                                        >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                                        >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                                        OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                                        I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                                        the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                                        didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                                        output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                                        enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                                        to...............................................

                                        Derek

                                      • girlguidebiscuit
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                          Robert, I don't understand why you headed up this thread "Forum Abuse" and then told us about your discovery. It doesn't seem to make sense.

                                          Paul
                                        • TODP

                                            >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                                            >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                                            OH snork!  How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                                            I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                                            the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%.  I
                                            didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                                            output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                                            enhanced.  If you believe that, please send your cheque
                                            to...............................................

                                            Derek

                                          • bleu jeanzz
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                              Robert,

                                              I agree it might be time for you to sit back and observe.  By your own admission you are a newbie, yet you feel the need to hand out advise on a regular basis, some of it erroneous and not based on personal experience.   At first I thought you were a troll, but you seem sincere, so I doubt that now.

                                              There are cats here like Harry and Bob just to name a couple who have decades of experience.  Maybe if you sit back and let them handle some of the load you will continue with your education without embarrassing your self or possibly misinforming some other new distiller.

                                              Kind Regards
                                              Bleu

                                              >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that
                                              >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.

                                              OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry.
                                              I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns
                                              the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I
                                              didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column,
                                              output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were
                                              enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque
                                              to...............................................

                                              Derek

                                            • Jerry McCullough
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                I for one am interested about your process Robert. If you are going to stop posting to the forum, would you at least let me know personally how it worked out?

                                                Thanks

                                                I agree with you that 4% abv was an error read on a web site that for some reason stuck.  Homedistiller.org stated it closer to 17% abv.  even my own experience I achieved 19% abv with bakers yeast.  Believe it our not I don't mind being corrected when I make an error.  I am not insulted when I am being corrected, and I freely admit when I am wrong.  How do I learn something new if you read one thing and other people with experience say something else? I am new to distilling, and most of what I know comes from what I have read on web sites.  Yes, I have done 6 or 7 stripping runs and 1 finish run, but that does not mean that I am an old timer with 10 generations worth of experience.  The only way that I will ever know what I read is correct, is when I share it with others.  If I am not corrected then the information I read is correct. I repeat: I thought this forum was based on sharing information and ideas!  I guess I was incorrect in that assumption.  Since this forum is not in place to share information and ideas, I will continue to read this forum to gleam information, but I will go silent on my information and ideas.  For the people who think I am involved in a scam to get your money.  This will be my last post. Robert

                                                >No, it's a revolutionary new process that is so earth-shaking that >it is being surpressed by the big-liquor cabal.
                                                OH snork! How many times have we heard that out of the auto industry. I once bought one of those inline magnetic thingamabobs that aligns the molecules in gasoline to increase mileage by more than 25%. I didn't work, but when I adapted it to fit on my refraction column, output increased 25 %, it produced 150% abv output and flavours were enhanced. If you believe that, please send your cheque to............................................... Derek
                                              • Wes Deviers
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                  Ah, good!  I thought I had missed some seriously juicy post from before and didn't remember it.  Perhaps that's not what happened after all.

                                                  Wes

                                                  On 03/06/2013 03:37 PM, self.adhesive@... wrote:

                                                  Robert, I don't understand why you headed up this thread "Forum Abuse" and then told us about your discovery. It doesn't seem to make sense.

                                                  Paul

                                                • fermin Alarcon
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                    awrite already stop before someone calls you a couple of !@#$

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                      Please someone email me when the discussion returns to distilling.
                                                    • tgfoitwoods
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                                                        Wow! Let a guy stay away from the forum for a while and the natives get frisky!

                                                        A couple of important things - many of us have had a shot at Robert's ethanol-water separation ideas, and I think there's no gain in continuing the negative comments on a yet-to-be tried process about which all of us, except Robert, know nothing. For my part, I'm as sceptical as many, but I'm looking forward to hearing the progression of Robert's experimentation, if he chooses to share it with us.

                                                        As for banning, I'm trying to remember if it's ever happened on this list; I think not. It's certainly not common, anyway, although serious trolling could put enough people over the edge to raise a hue and cry.

                                                        It's true that there are a few long-timers on the list who have between them many decades of distilling, but we're generally tolerant of new ideas, as long as they are not based on proven-wrong principles. Dunno about the rest, but I'm not terribly happy with a lot of name-calling, although I'll certainly jump in to correct incorrect physics, chemistry, or basic distilling untruths.

                                                        So I'm uncharacteristically invoking the forum's "play nice rule". It can't hurt, and it'll keep this a pleasant place to frequent, and Robert? ...keep us posted on what you're doing and what results you get.

                                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP <danimae@...> wrote:

                                                        > Don't let 'em get to ya Robert.. they got to me early also.. I just
                                                        > posted a reply to one of your last notes!! Slim crowd here!! I am
                                                        > SURE I will be banned from now on just because I ruffled some feathers!!
                                                        > As well as YOU now!!! Ya dare NOT say ANYTHING against the regulars!!
                                                        >
                                                        > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM, RLB wrote:

                                                        ----snip----
                                                      • White Bear
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                                          ZBob and Robert-
                                                            I personally want to thank you ZBob for this reply.  Although I am relativily a new member on this group, I am by no means a greenhorn to distilling it is in my heritage and I have seen it done in the backwoods as well as being privvy to some pretty nice, modern designs.
                                                            Robert, keep on doing what you're doing and don't let others sway you from your experiments with this new tecnology.  I am a board member of an Inventors club and have witnessed some major breakthrough in technology from some people that look like they should be sitting on a porch playing a banjo.  This country has been founded on people with different ideas I believe this mentality will help this group.  Go ahead with what you feel will help this group and the distilling community.
                                                            This will be my last reply to this thread let this dog die and get it together.  I want to hear about different mash recipes and how to make better stills and design.
                                                          White Bear

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                                            "I would be interested to hear why a post to a new distillers group is the best way to market a revolutionary new alcohol separation process. Sound to me more like a separate me from my money process. ;)"

                                                            This is the point where this thread went haywire. Robert, I think you may have misinterpreted this comment. I didn't read it as meaning you would scam people of their money.

                                                            What I read was that it would not be wise to share a new idea with a bunch of strangers if you wanted to make money from it...because you would lose control and ownership of your new idea - thus YOU would be the one separated from your money.

                                                            Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                                            Paul
                                                          • Fredrick Lee
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                                                              In the world of intellectual property, it's  widely presumed the best money making ideas need to be kept secret. That presumption is incorrect. Take a world famous musical artist for example, they make a product that can be copied by anyone, quite easily, just by recording it. The protection they receive from copyright law is insignificant to the protection they receive through their product/brand association.

                                                              Another way to look at it is if I started selling "The Compleet Distiller" (a new revised compendium of distillation techniques and apparatus), you guys would certainly know that it would be a bogus knock-off and refuse to buy it, probably even take some action against me selling it. Since you would be most of my market for such a scandalous publication, I would inherently be unable to capitalize from it.

                                                              The moral of the story is, if you have access to your market, tell them what you're doing, it will protect your property much more than copyrights.

                                                              There are four levels of intellectual property:

                                                              1. Patents protect inventions, designs, and business methods.  They do not provide the right for you, but rather prevent others from making it in the same manner.
                                                              2. Trademarks provide source identification with the potential to create consumer goodwill.  It is the responsibility of the trademark owner to protect the trademark.  If it is not protected, you lose the trademark.
                                                              3. Copyrights protect tangible expression of original ideas.  Said another way, you protect the literal copy of the idea, but not the idea itself.
                                                              4. Trade Secrets are secret business information kept (hopefully) within a company.  It is the protection of the secret sauce, or the secret formula.
                                                              Regardless of what category the ideas fall into, they all require defensibility, and that requires establishing who owns what, when.