stone/nixon v. stillmaker

  • Frank Hammond
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2001
      I am trying to decide between these 2 column designs,
      and would love to get some advice? I am leaning toward
      the stone/nixon design, as it appears to be cheaper
      and easier to construct.

      If I go with the Nixon/Stone, are there any suggested
      modifications?

      If I were to go with the Stillmaker, would it be
      better to modify the design so that I don't have
      cooling pipes running through the top and bottom of
      the still? Should I have both the cooling tubes
      running through the top of the still, or the bottom.

      Sorry for not being more concise, I would invariable
      have misused the terms and misstated my questions. I
      think it is best to just leave it open ended and
      vague. Please all thoughts are welcome. I just don't
      have the technical knowledge to evaluate which still
      design is better.

      Thanks for you help.

    • klcampbell
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
        Hi Frank,I started with a Labmaster unit and only ran it 3 times as
        purchased before I made a Nixon/Stone tower to replace the origonal one.The
        Quality of the end product now is truly outstanding,I made my tower out of
        50mm.316 S/S tube,1250mm.high and have had the condenser coil Tin plated to
        stop any tarnishing from the vapour.From a 25 lt.wash I get9 lts of
        spirit,4to5lts @ 95%+,I stop collecting at 85o and the average for the whole
        run is93%.Happy hunting.
        Regards Ken
        > I am trying to decide between these 2 column designs,
        > and would love to get some advice? I am leaning toward
        > the stone/nixon design, as it appears to be cheaper
        > and easier to construct.
        >
        > If I go with the Nixon/Stone, are there any suggested
        > modifications?
        >
        > If I were to go with the Stillmaker, would it be
        > better to modify the design so that I don't have
        > cooling pipes running through the top and bottom of
        > the still? Should I have both the cooling tubes
        > running through the top of the still, or the bottom.
        >
        > Sorry for not being more concise, I would invariable
        > have misused the terms and misstated my questions. I
        > think it is best to just leave it open ended and
        > vague. Please all thoughts are welcome. I just don't
        > have the technical knowledge to evaluate which still
        > design is better.
        >
        > Thanks for you help.

      • Giles
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
          On 31 Jan 01, at 4:00, Frank Hammond wrote:

          > I am trying to decide between these 2 column designs,
          > and would love to get some advice? I am leaning toward
          > the stone/nixon design, as it appears to be cheaper
          > and easier to construct.
          I have built both. Go with the Stone/ Nixon you will not be sorry. It is
          a superior design based on sound theory. A particular strength is
          the way it allows you to control the reflux ratio simply and accurately.
          > If I go with the Nixon/Stone, are there any suggested
          > modifications?
          I have never felt modifications were needed and I like modifying
          things.
        • martin@mhanover.freeserve.co.uk
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
            --- In new_distillers@y..., "Giles" <giles@p...> wrote:
            > On 31 Jan 01, at 4:00, Frank Hammond wrote:
            >
            > > I am trying to decide between these 2 column designs,
            > > and would love to get some advice? I am leaning toward
            > > the stone/nixon design, as it appears to be cheaper
            > > and easier to construct.
            > I have built both. Go with the Stone/ Nixon you will not be sorry.
            It is
            > a superior design based on sound theory. A particular strength is
            > the way it allows you to control the reflux ratio simply and
            accurately.
            > > If I go with the Nixon/Stone, are there any suggested
            > > modifications?
            > I have never felt modifications were needed and I like modifying
            > things.

            Hi Giles.
            I've just built a stillmaker still but hav'nt done a run yet.
            But will be shortly.
            My question is..
            Why don't you reccomend this type of still?.
            Many thanks in advance.
            Martin.....
          • Bennett, Mark E
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
              Ken
              Some time back I built a Nixon/stone design using 50 mm S/S tube
              with a 6mm copper condenser coil about 400mm long on there alternative
              stillhead design (no bend). I found that I could not condense all of the
              steam rising and I was loosing product to the atmosphere (Approx 2.6 mj /
              Hour or .7 kw , output = 63 ml per min no reflux) , no matter how much
              cooling water I threw at the condenser. My assumption was that as I had
              increased the tube size from there design of 30 - 35mm to 50mm. I was having
              problems bringing the steam in contact with coil due to the larger internal
              area in the 50mm tube. I then changed the design to a 600 mm jacketed
              condenser (35 mm bore) but still had problem with steam escaping out of the
              top. I eventually added 12 x 30mm S/S welsh plugs suspended on a 4mm S/S
              rod inside the condenser to force the steam closer to the cooling surface
              and this resolved my problem.

              My question :
              1. Have you experienced problems of ethanol vapour rising out of the top of
              the stillhead
              2. If yes how have you overcome this problem
              3. Do you know what you energy input is (KW or Mj)
              4. Can you let me know what your product output is ml/min (No Reflux)
              5. What is the boiler temperature when you stop the run ( My interest here
              is for the % of alcohol remaining in the boiler. The reading would need to
              be with a thermometer that you had calibrated against boiling water 100c)

              I have concerns with the safety of the open still head design as there is a
              chance of volatile vapours escaping from the top of the still head as well
              as the product output is also hot and releasing vapours to the atmosphere
              which could ignite or worse explode if the still was used in an enclosed
              environment.
              Are you others concerned with the escaping vapours or could this be my
              previous experience has made me wary.

              Mark

            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                I haven't yet run my Nixon/Stone condensor in reflux mode, but have used it
                for "beer-stripping" - eg first pass of wash through a pot style still. I
                did this just by sitting the condensor on 20cm length of 1 inch pipe off the
                top of the pot, with the valve fully open (no reflux). I plan to do this to
                say 3 x 20L washs, collecting about 6L off each at around 40-65% (eg hammer
                it up to about 97.4C). These will be combined to then be run through in
                reflux mode.

                But its given me a fairly good idea of how well it handles 1380 W power
                input.

                Cooling water was at 0.825 L per minute, heating from approx 10C ? (didn't
                measure) up to an outlet temperature of 40C

                My coil is approx 30mm outside diameter, and is sited in a 1.5 inch (36mm)
                pipe - eg its very close to the walls of it. Any loose vapour getting past
                it would be doing so up the centre of the coil. So to avoid that, I've put
                a little bit of stainless steel scouring pad in the centre of the coil.

                Distillate came through at around 50 mL/min.

                No puffs of steam observed out the top.

                The bottom 1/3 of the coil is now nice and shiny - eg only that portion
                looks to be contacting any vapour. I'd be happy to run it up to 2.5 kW
                based on just that.

                Doing a water/steam only run gave similar results. This is the harder test
                for it, as more energy is required to condense steam than to condense
                alcohol.

                Tony
              • Bennett, Mark E
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                  Tony
                  I have assumed that you used 5 mm copper for the condenser coil.
                  This would give an internal diameter of 20 mm on the condenser. My original
                  design had an id of 38mm and this may have been the cause of my problem.
                  The steam could rise through the middle of the condenser without contacting
                  the condenser. Maybe there a valuable lesson here in changing the design
                  from 1.5 inch to 2 inch tube. You may need to add deflection plates to
                  direct the steam through the condenser.

                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                    >The steam could rise through the middle of the condenser
                    >without contacting the condenser.

                    correct - that's why I felt like putting in the scrubbers. Thought that
                    they'd cool a little by being in contact with the coil, and just provide
                    something easily across the center for the vapour to contact & condense on,
                    but without compromising the basic safety feature of keeping the condenser
                    section basically open / at atmospheric pressure.

                    My only concern is if the stainless steel & copper are going to set up a wee
                    galvanic circuit and start corroding when wet .......

                    Tony
                  • hokeypokey2001@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                      Anybody know where I can find the design and specs for the
                      Stone/Nixon?

                      Beginners question.

                      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:

                      > >The steam could rise through the middle of the condenser
                      > >without contacting the condenser.
                      >
                      > correct - that's why I felt like putting in the scrubbers. Thought
                      that
                      > they'd cool a little by being in contact with the coil, and just
                      provide
                      > something easily across the center for the vapour to contact &
                      condense on,
                      > but without compromising the basic safety feature of keeping the
                      condenser
                      > section basically open / at atmospheric pressure.
                      >
                      > My only concern is if the stainless steel & copper are going to set
                      up a wee
                      > galvanic circuit and start corroding when wet .......
                      >

                      > Tony
                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                        Anybody know where I can find the design and specs for the
                        Stone/Nixon?

                        http://www.gin-vodka.com/ for US$8
                      • Giles
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1, 2001
                        • Martin Hanover
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1, 2001
                            Many thanks for your comments Giles.
                            I have not yet seen a s/n designe yet. do you have any diagrams/photos, and maybe you could tell me how you converted your stillmaker design.
                            Thanks again.
                            Martin....
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 2, 2001

                              I have not yet seen a s/n designe yet. do you have any diagrams/photos, and maybe you could tell me how you converted your stillmaker design.
                              Thanks again.
                              Martin....
                              > I've just built a stillmaker still but hav'nt done a run yet.
                              > But will be shortly.
                              > My question is..
                              > Why don't you reccomend this type of still?.
                              > Many thanks in advance.
                              > Martin.....
                              The tubes that run through the column to the condenser make it hard to pack/clean the column.

                              Reflux ratio can only be controlled by (a) adjusting the heat and (b) regulating the water rather than directly with a needle valve and full reflux is hard to acheive in fact i never acheived full reflux. (although you can get close if you have good heat control) On the N/S design, the default is full reflux (needle valve closed) and you can stabilise the column for as long as you like before drawing off distillate.

                              I don't think the two pass through tubes have enough cooling potential and the one at the foot of the column is erroneous. It just condenses vapour straight back into the pot without contributing to the reflux process.

                              I wouldn't despair though: you will definitely make alcohol with your stillmaker still and if you have good heat/water control it will be quite good. Its just that the N/S design is a joy to use.

                              ps I converted my stillmaker to the NIxon Stone design without too much difficulty.

                              Hi guys,
                              attached is a photograph of a n/s still I built last year; at the moment I'm building an improved version which I can't show you yet. Believe it, if you want clean spirit, n/s is the way to go!!!
                              Rob

                            • klcampbell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 5, 2001
                                Hi Mark,sorry it has taken me a while to respond,I built the Mk1.column not
                                the straight through model for the reason I could not see how you could
                                control the reflux and direct it back down the centre of the packing.
                                My system uses a hot plate with 2 elements,1@... 1 @ 750w.both turned
                                on for heatup and 1000w. for the run.I use a solid state Ascon M3controller
                                and solid state relay.The thermocouple is imbedded in the centre of the
                                10mm. alloy hotplate,from underneath to give good control.

                                When running I have 2 options,in the cooler months of the year I set up and
                                turn on about 11.00 P.M.,setting the heat at 135o C with water running
                                through the condenser and go to bed.At 6.00 A.M. column temp. at 68-70o,time
                                to start bleeding off the head.I then turn up the heat to 165oC which
                                experience has shown to be the best heat for my setup.By 10.00A.M.the head
                                is clean and the temp. is at 78.4,and the column is starting to produce
                                clean spirit.The first 500ml.is around 93% and by the time 2 litres has come
                                over the purity is at 96+%.
                                If you are not condensing all of the vapour your boilup rate is too high and
                                you are flooding the packing in the column.You have not mentioned how much
                                packing you have in the column.I use just over 1 metre of S/S scrubbers and
                                have heavy insulation right up to the condenser.I run at 14:1 reflux and
                                collect @ 360mls per hour.I use a digital thermometer,only in the top of the
                                tower also i have fine control of the water supply through the condenser
                                with a thermometer reading the discharge temperature of the water.One other
                                thing I have been trying is 1Kg. of Raschig Rings in the kettle to even out
                                the boil rate of the wash,don't know if it helps but I know they do it in
                                Laboritories.Sorry Mark I got a bit carried away there but I hope that has
                                helped you a little bit.
                                Cheers for now,Regards Ken.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 5, 2001
                                  > I have not yet seen a s/n designe yet. do you have any
                                  diagrams/photos,
                                  > and maybe you could tell me how you converted your stillmaker
                                  design.
                                  > Thanks again.
                                  > Martin....

                                  Hi Rob.
                                  Thanks for the effort but i can't seem to find the attached
                                  photograph!.
                                  Please can you send it again
                                  Many thanks
                                  Martin...
                                • Rob van Leuven
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 13, 2001
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 14, 2001
                                      --- In new_distillers@y..., martin@m... wrote:
                                      > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Rob van Leuven" <r.vanleuven@c...>

                                      Hi! It's Bruce here. Iam a new distiller, and have heard so much
                                      about the Nixon stone condenser. Can anyone tell me where to get
                                      drgs. or some info as to how to make one, I would appreciate it.

                                      Regards,

                                      Bruce
                                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 16, 2001
                                        Bruce,

                                        > Hi! It's Bruce here. Iam a new distiller, and have heard so much
                                        > about the Nixon stone condenser. Can anyone tell me where to get
                                        > drgs. or some info as to how to make one, I would appreciate it.

                                        See some photos of it at
                                        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm

                                        Tony