blue spirit/carbon

  • hinarn@dingoblue.net.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
      hello all, I'm a very newbie and this is my first post!
      I have 2 questions,
      1. I know how the spirit came to be blue, but how do I get it out?
      It's already been distilled twice.
      2. I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding the carbon
      process, although have read thousands of pages about it (must be the
      missing brain cells!) I'd like some help on exactly how musc of the
      stuff to put in what, how long to leave it and how to differentiate
      between the different types if they're not clearly labelled when I
      buy them.
      thanks, I hope someone can help me.
      Narni.
    • David Ortego
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
        Go to "www.partyman.se" and you should be able to get some info there.
        I have a pvc pipe about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3 meters
        in length. I fill it about 2/3 full with .5 to 1mm activated carbon used for
        filtering liquids that I obtained from "Calgon Carbon Corporation" and I run
        about 2 liters before changing the carbon. I clamp two plain, ordinary
        coffee filters on one end of the pipe, just in case you were wondering. The
        end result is a crystal clear "sprite" (you know what I mean). Keep your
        filtering pipe clean. You can easily see the carbon residue after each run
        inside of the pipe. Oh! Also, I throw away the first 10 to 20 cc or 2-4
        teaspoons of the filtrate because it may have a bluish discoloration, but
        that soon clears. Good luck!

        >From: hinarn@...
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] blue spirit/carbon
        >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:14:55 -0000
        >
        >hello all, I'm a very newbie and this is my first post!
        >I have 2 questions,
        >1. I know how the spirit came to be blue, but how do I get it out?
        >It's already been distilled twice.
        >2. I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding the carbon
        >process, although have read thousands of pages about it (must be the
        >missing brain cells!) I'd like some help on exactly how musc of the
        >stuff to put in what, how long to leave it and how to differentiate
        >between the different types if they're not clearly labelled when I
        >buy them.
        >thanks, I hope someone can help me.
        >Narni.

      • NOLAN John
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2001
          i am just starting out and i am going to have ago at
          converting a 9lt ss fire extinguisher to a column
          still.

          Dimensions of fire extinguisher are approx. - 170mm
          dia x 500mm high

          threaded opening at top is about 30mm inside dia.

          1. Will this be suitable for conversion to a reflux
          still

          2. What size column should i be looking at fitting to
          the top.

          3. Will the column work if it is wider than the base
          opening of, in this case 30mm, say 60 or 100mm.

          anyones thoughts appreciated

          john