Mash

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
      I read some place that you could make a mash with just cracked corn and sugar, cooked for awhile then put in the fermenter. It's doing something, but smells different. Any advice? Hope it isn't just spoiling.
    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
        Had you put some malt into it, you would have sour mash mix.  What you got now is corn flavored sugar wash which will taste bad thru a pot still, in a reflux you can get the off taste out.

        I read some place that you could make a mash with just cracked corn and sugar, cooked for awhile then put in the fermenter. It's doing something, but smells different. Any advice? Hope it isn't just spoiling.

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
          DAP and yeast might be faster, but you need enzymes to break the corn starch into sugar.

          What they might have done is to malt the corn and grind some of that to uses as a yeast like substitute, but you still need nitrogen to feed your yeast.  If you wait awhile yeast will die and finally prove food for yeast to grow.  That process is doable but painfully slow.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
            Thanks for the advice, I haven't learned to malt the corn yet, but I hope too.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

            > Had you put some malt into it, you would have sour mash mix.  What you got now is corn flavored sugar wash which will taste bad thru a pot still, in a reflux you can get the off taste out.

          • local yokel
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
              I would disagree with your opinion of what is basically a version of UJSSM recipe from Home Distiller's site. It makes a very nice "whiskey" and ages into an exceptional drink in a year on oak sticks. The corn flavor comes through very nicely on a pot still and is an easy recipe to follow. That assumes you want a corn flavor, not a vodka type spirit. It is a sugarwash with corn acting as a nutrient source and flavoring adjunct, not a converted mash.