Re: [new_distillers] Re: Malting

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
      Thank you, I did not think about that part.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2013
        Thanks Wal. I'm going to give this a shot with a little rye. I'll report any difference in taste or performance.

        > Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
        > wal

      • last2blast
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 26 6:26 AM
          If group members are serious about hobby, moonshine, or legal distilling, I highly suggest that you take the time to really learn how to malt grains and how that malting process will change the flavor of your distillate.  We see TV shows like "Moonshiners" where they toss the grain into a stream and pull it out to sprout, and then dry it in the sun.  What I am learning about malting makes me shake my head in amazement because it truly is a science and art combined into one.

          If you want to make a wonderfully flavored spirit, you need to learn the ins and outs of malting.  For example: You can malt grain to increase sugar content, and you can malt in such a way the will enhance enzymes or kill enzymes in grains.

          Robert L. Bliven