Boiler insulation?

  • bobbafett00
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2002
      Hi all,
      I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
      it takes to do a run. I have a custom made boiler with a band heater
      clamped around the outside and was thinking about using neoprene
      wetsuit material as an insulation blanket.what do y'all think about
      this? I guess the only concern I have is what temperature the
      neoprene can handle before it is damaged or whatever, anyone know?
      anyone have any better ideas on what to use?
      thanks
      scott
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2002
        I use a good old fashioned blanket, although my heater's on the inside.

        Cheers,

        Steve

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • SSTOLI123@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          Why not try to use Fiberglass insulation from your home supply store. the make them for insulating Hot water tanks.

          Steve
        • Dr. M. Legendre
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
            On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:44:37 -0000
            "bobbafett00" <bobbafett00@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
            > it takes to do a run.

            We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
            wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
            sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
            purported to be equivalent to R-12.

            It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
            is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
            local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

            Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
            stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
            seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
            this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
            of that component.

            -- Dr. M. Legendre
          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002

              Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make thermal resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a couple of metres.

              Yours' in Spirit!

              Robert

              > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
              > it takes to do a run.

              We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
              wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
              sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
              purported to be equivalent to R-12.

              It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
              is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
              local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

              Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
              stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
              seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
              this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
              of that component.

              -- Dr. M. Legendre

            • pocoian2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
                --- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
                > Around these parts the canvas/tarpaulin makers use it to make
                thermal
                > resistant cooler bags. That is where I got mine. It cost $5 for a
                couple of
                > metres.
                >
                > Yours' in Spirit!
                >
                > Robert

                A few years ago "space blankets" were very popular items with
                backpackers. They were very compact and not at all comfortable - but
                they assured survival if you got stranded in the snow. I don't know
                if they are still available - but I think they would be ideal to
                retain heat in your boiler. (They were designed to retain the heat
                from you body)

                I no longer have a "space blanket" but have found that just draping
                an old Mexican wool blanket around my boiler increases heat up time
                by a half hour!

                > > Hi all,
                > > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the
                time
                > > it takes to do a run.
                >
                > We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil
                bubble
                > wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble
                wrap,
                > sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this
                material is
                > purported to be equivalent to R-12.
                >
                > It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told
                that it
                > is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable
                fruits. A
                > local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.
                >
                > Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the
                temperature
                > stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with
                and
                > seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding
                a 'cap' of
                > this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the
                efficiency
                > of that component.
                >
                > -- Dr. M. Legendre
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor