1st real run

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hey all! Just ran about 6 gallons and turned it into almost 3 liters of 100 proof. I stopped running at 80 proof. How low should I go when running?
      Also, what constitues "burned mash"? I had a little brown stuff on the bottom. Nothing smelled burned though.
      Last but not least, I'm looking for a stock pot 6 gallons or bigger so I don't have to run twice,
      Thanks, Tom
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Get a thumper for your still that is the same as running it twice.

        A way to stop grain from burning is to drain 3/4 of your liquid wash from ferment vessel and start a new wort.  Normally, all it takes is sugar, water, nutrients, and yeast.  If grain is floating scoop that grain out and cook a similar amount of new grain.  Some people ferment grain as many as 8 times before tossing.     It isn't a good idea to place solids into a still because burnt grain can leave an unwanted taste in your distillate.

        Robert