Re: [new_distillers] Re: Noobie thoughts

  • Richard Costa
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 4, 2013
      I have a vacuum tube array with 30 tubes, spa type, that probably hold about 3 liters each of water/fluid. The water turns to steam quickly on a sunny day, and even on an overcast day they get pretty warm. I know there is a way that this will work with distilling alcohol at a fairly heavy volume, now it's just a matter of how to arrange and collect the steam, and feed the mash liquid. A solar oven would also work but if I'm looking for volume....

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 4, 2013
        I think I got this. All I need is to feed the wort in one end, shut it off, and then steam will come out the opposite end, harness it, and then use cold well water to condense it. It would also be quite safe with no flame and the pressure build up in this type of solar peaks at 9-11 psi. It seems almost too simple. I bet I could get 12+ gallons at a time.....jeez. What am I misssing?

[...]

      • Jim Graves
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 4, 2013
          I know I keep forgetting to do that, thanks

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 4, 2013
            It will be a fun project to play with during the summer.  Distilling without a still.

            Robert

[...]

          • jsducote
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
              Rather than feeding wort into your solar heater, I think you should keep the solar heater a closed-loop system and merely use it to heat your traditional still. If you put anything other than water (or water plus something like ethylene glycol) in it then you eventually have to drain it and clean it out. I bet your still is much easier to disassemble and clean. Lots of professional distilleries use super-heated steam to power their stills and I think you'll have better control over the temperature too.
              -j

              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
                I had that same thought but I have some doubts whether using it as a closed loop system would be more work, and how I'd harness it into a pot still. I'd also be more confined on volume. It's really not a big deal to disconnect the two lines (intake/outtake), and flush it out. It's about 10 feet off the ground so I just need to pump the wort up into it in the evening when it's cool. I'd attach the business end/condenser arm on one side and plug the other side. The temperature should be near ideal, but if it isn't a tarp covering part could slow it down. Again, flushing it out when I'm done is just a matter of attaching a garden hose. I think it will work well and I could probably get an easy 8-10 gallons.

                I use my solar heater with ethyl glycol as a closed loop system for heating household hot water, not really what it's made for since it's considered a non-pressurized system. Draining it, flushing it, adding fluid etc, really isn't a big deal since I have faucets near my hot water tank. Adding hoses and a pump makes it quick work. I'll just store the ethyl glycol fluid in a barrel and reuse it when I'm done.

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
                  My only concern would be pressure build up, since a non-pressurized system can only handle a peak of about 9-11 psi before the gaskets around the tubes start leaking. I need to keep the pressure down and the steam moving. Having a tarp or cover ready should control that.

                  Rather than feeding wort into your solar heater, I think you should keep the solar heater a closed-loop system and merely use it to heat your traditional still. If you put anything other than water (or water plus something like ethylene glycol) in it then you eventually have to drain it and clean it out. I bet your still is much easier to disassemble and clean. Lots of professional distilleries use super-heated steam to power their stills and I think you'll have better control over the temperature too.
                  -j

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Costa wrote:

                  > I think I got this. All I need is to feed the wort in one end, shut it off, and then steam will come out the opposite end, harness it, and then use cold well water to condense it. It would also be quite safe with no flame and the pressure build up in this type of solar peaks at 9-11 psi. It seems almost too simple. I bet I could get 12+ gallons at a time.....jeez. What am I misssing?
                  >
                  > I have a vacuum tube array with 30 tubes, spa type, that probably hold about 3 liters each of water/fluid. The water turns to steam quickly on a sunny day, and even on an overcast day they get pretty warm. I know there is a way that this will work with distilling alcohol at a fairly heavy volume, now it's just a matter of how to arrange and collect the steam, and feed the mash liquid. A solar oven would also work but if I'm looking for volume....

                • RLB
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
                    One problem with solar distilling is time.  It takes me 4 hrs on an electric range to distill 2 gals of sugar wash, so can I achieve the necessary heat for 4 hrs to distill 2 gals in a day?  In northern states it will be more difficult, but it will be fun to trying.

                    I am working on a different idea that will instantly remove alcohol from water, but it will require experimentation and testing before I can share my idea.  As I told WB, I am an inventor.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 5, 2013
                      I'm new to distilling so time will tell. Is it true that the final product is better with a slower cook? It would seem on a sunny day that the sun will be fairly constant so the adjustments that I need to make will be minimal. I don't care if it takes 12 hours, it's outside, and I actually have an outdoor shower underneath with drain if there's a mess. The worse that I can see happening is pressure build up with gaskets around some of the tubes leaking, not a big deal for me, just throw a tarp over the tubes to slow it down and bring the pressure down. I wouldn't need to babysit it as much as you would if it were on a stove. I'm hoping I can mostly set it and forget it.

                      Removing alcohol from water? I've heard of doing the opposite but what would the scenario be where alcohol got into water and why remove it?

                      One problem with solar distilling is time.  It takes me 4 hrs on an electric range to distill 2 gals of sugar wash, so can I achieve the necessary heat for 4 hrs to distill 2 gals in a day?  In northern states it will be more difficult, but it will be fun to trying.

                      I am working on a different idea that will instantly remove alcohol from water, but it will require experimentation and testing before I can share my idea.  As I told WB, I am an inventor.

                      Robert

                      Rather than feeding wort into your solar heater, I think you should keep the solar heater a closed-loop system and merely use it to heat your traditional still. If you put anything other than water (or water plus something like ethylene glycol) in it then you eventually have to drain it and clean it out. I bet your still is much easier to disassemble and clean. Lots of professional distilleries use super-heated steam to power their stills and I think you'll have better control over the temperature too.
                      -j

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Costa wrote:

                      > I think I got this. All I need is to feed the wort in one end, shut it off, and then steam will come out the opposite end, harness it, and then use cold well water to condense it. It would also be quite safe with no flame and the pressure build up in this type of solar peaks at 9-11 psi. It seems almost too simple. I bet I could get 12+ gallons at a time.....jeez. What am I misssing?
                      >
                      > I have a vacuum tube array with 30 tubes, spa type, that probably hold about 3 liters each of water/fluid. The water turns to steam quickly on a sunny day, and even on an overcast day they get pretty warm. I know there is a way that this will work with distilling alcohol at a fairly heavy volume, now it's just a matter of how to arrange and collect the steam, and feed the mash liquid. A solar oven would also work but if I'm looking for volume....

                    • Bill Rogers

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                          There are several types of alcohol in wash.  We do not just remove ethanol from wash, but we remove almost all of the various forms found in our wash.  Most of the time we take it out, so we can put it back in which is ironic in a way.

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                            All it is at this time is an idea.  If it works, it's a process that will change the way we distill our wash.  I am really tired of keeping an eye on my still for 4 to 5 hrs.

                            Robert

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                              You at least have me curious about the process. Many times ideas, although not practical in one direction, provoke thought of it's applications in another direction. Don't worry, people thought Edison was crazy too.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 6, 2013
                                Guy Kawasaki, blah blah blah, black swan. Speak your story, Lady Gaga, or else someone is going to rip it off before you've established it's yours.

                                All of this is arbitrary whether centrifugal, ionic azeotropical depression, static head pressure, ultra fine membranes, etc, all this crap is completely unoriginal, and the more original something is, the less people want to hear about it.
                                The tule of thumb is to spill the beans, or it's just unproven, invalid science, or at least susceptible to thievery.