Re: [new_distillers] receips

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2013
      That is simple:

      Fill a jug half full of hot water
      add 3 or 4 cups of sugar
      add 1 tbsp of DAP
      add 1 tbsp of salt
      add 3 tbsp of lemon juice
      I like to toss in 1 multivitamin
      shake well
      fill with cool water within 1 inch of the top of jug.
      pour 8oz of sugar wash into a tall glass and add 1 tbsp of yeast
      stir by using your hand to swirl glass.
      place paper towel or cloth over glass.
      swirl glass every 15 min for at lease an hour.
      pour yeast mixture into gal jug.
      place cloth over jug to keep dust and dirt out.

      Within a month you should have a finished wash ready for distillation.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013

        Why salt?  Salt retards yeast activity.  Osmosis of salt into the cell through the membrane wall.  In baking, a little salt makes your bread taste better.  But bakers compensate for the yeast slow-down by using extra yeast. Ask any old baker.  (yes I was one for 25 years before going on to other things, like 'stillin').

        In ferments meant for beverages, salt just slows the fermentation unnecessarily.

        Owner : Y! new_distillers Y! Distillers The Alcohol Library

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

        > That is simple:
        >
        > Fill a jug half full of hot water
        > add 3 or 4 cups of sugar
        > add 1 tbsp of DAP
        > add 1 tbsp of salt
        > add 3 tbsp of lemon juice
        > I like to toss in 1 multivitamin
        > shake well
        > fill with cool water within 1 inch of the top of jug.
        > pour 8oz of sugar wash into a tall glass and add 1 tbsp of yeast
        > stir by using your hand to swirl glass.
        > place paper towel or cloth over glass.
        > swirl glass every 15 min for at lease an hour.
        > pour yeast mixture into gal jug.
        > place cloth over jug to keep dust and dirt out.
        >
        > Within a month you should have a finished wash ready for distillation.
        >
        > Robert
        >

        > ________________________________

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
          I will test that theory with my next 5 gal batch.  I picked up the salt from homedistiller.org, but they said use non iodized salt.  They said to use Epsom salt too, but I have not tried it yet.  That might be the reason one of my 1 gal experiment ran for 35 days without any sign of stopping.  lol

          Robert

          Why salt?  Salt retards yeast activity.  Osmosis of salt into the cell through the membrane wall.  In baking, a little salt makes your bread taste better.  But bakers compensate for the yeast slow-down by using extra yeast. Ask any old baker.  (yes I was one for 25 years before going on to other things, like 'stillin').
          In ferments meant for beverages, salt just slows the fermentation unnecessarily.

          Owner : Y! new_distillers Y! Distillers The Alcohol Library

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          > That is simple:
          >
          > Fill a jug half full of hot water
          > add 3 or 4 cups of sugar
          > add 1 tbsp of DAP
          > add 1 tbsp of salt
          > add 3 tbsp of lemon juice
          > I like to toss in 1 multivitamin
          > shake well
          > fill with cool water within 1 inch of the top of jug.
          > pour 8oz of sugar wash into a tall glass and add 1 tbsp of yeast
          > stir by using your hand to swirl glass.
          > place paper towel or cloth over glass.
          > swirl glass every 15 min for at lease an hour.
          > pour yeast mixture into gal jug.
          > place cloth over jug to keep dust and dirt out.
          >
          > Within a month you should have a finished wash ready for distillation.
          >
          > Robert
          >

          > ________________________________

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
            receita?

            See -

            wal

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Regal Silva <regalsilva@...> wrote:

            > sir,
            >
            > where can I find simple basic receipes for distilling using sugar, water, bakers yeast.  each time mash used 1 gallon.
            >
            > alex

          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
              simplified -

              wal

              > receita?
              >
              > See -

              > wal
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Regal Silva <regalsilva@> wrote:
              > >
              > > sir,
              > >
              > > where can I find simple basic receipes for distilling using sugar, water, bakers yeast.  each time mash used 1 gallon.
              > >
              > > alex

            • Jim Graves
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                I put about two tablespoons of salt into my wash just before distilling to flavor it and it does make a difference, I would not put it into the wash while its working.  I add gypson to soften the water which is the same thing epsom salts do.

                James D. Graves
                Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
                251-533-8569

                I will test that theory with my next 5 gal batch.  I picked up the salt from homedistiller.org, but they said use non iodized salt.  They said to use Epsom salt too, but I have not tried it yet.  That might be the reason one of my 1 gal experiment ran for 35 days without any sign of stopping.  lol

                Robert

                Why salt?  Salt retards yeast activity.  Osmosis of salt into the cell through the membrane wall.  In baking, a little salt makes your bread taste better.  But bakers compensate for the yeast slow-down by using extra yeast. Ask any old baker.  (yes I was one for 25 years before going on to other things, like 'stillin').
                In ferments meant for beverages, salt just slows the fermentation unnecessarily.

                Owner : Y! new_distillers Y! Distillers The Alcohol Library

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                > That is simple:
                >
                > Fill a jug half full of hot water
                > add 3 or 4 cups of sugar
                > add 1 tbsp of DAP
                > add 1 tbsp of salt
                > add 3 tbsp of lemon juice
                > I like to toss in 1 multivitamin
                > shake well
                > fill with cool water within 1 inch of the top of jug.
                > pour 8oz of sugar wash into a tall glass and add 1 tbsp of yeast
                > stir by using your hand to swirl glass.
                > place paper towel or cloth over glass.
                > swirl glass every 15 min for at lease an hour.
                > pour yeast mixture into gal jug.
                > place cloth over jug to keep dust and dirt out.
                >
                > Within a month you should have a finished wash ready for distillation.
                >
                > Robert
                >

                > ________________________________

              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                  Most people do not drink their wash!
                  It was once thought that salt helped the cut off temperature for a pot still.
                  wal

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves <jimbull34@...> wrote:

                  > I put about two tablespoons of salt into my wash just before distilling to flavor it and it does make a difference, I would not put it into the wash while its working.  I add gypson to soften the water which is the same thing epsom salts do.
                  >
                  > James D. Graves
                  > Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
                  > 251-533-8569

                • RLB
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
                    Thank you, I stand corrected, and will only add salt before distilling.

                    Robert