Re: Ignore the last post

  • pocoian2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., "activeinertia" <active_inertia@h...>
      wrote:
      > I meant to send it derictly to some one and not to the group.
      > Any way any one got any recipies for apple shnapps? I've got a huge
      > all year supply.
      > Thanks
      > Martin

      You can make a great apple schnapps from apple wine. The secret is to
      use the juice - so you should think about getting a crusher and apple
      press. Lots of info on the internet. If you just crush up the apples
      and ferment - you have one hell of a lot of straining to do.

      Basic apple wine - recipe is for 1 gallon (multiple as needed)

      8 lbs. apples

      2 1/2 lbs granulated sugar

      2 Campden tablets (omit if you are distilling)

      1 level teaspoon yeast nutrient ( I recomment pot distillers yeast -
      so skip the nutrient)

      1/2 oz. acid blend

      1 gallon water

      1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme powder

      1/4 teaspoon grape tannin

      Wine yeast (but if your are going to distill - use pot distillers
      yeast)

      Method: If possible use juice only. Otherwise chop apples and put
      all ingredients except yeast in primary fermentor. Mix well. When
      must is cool (70 -75 F) (about 20 -25 c) add yeast. Cover primary
      fermentor. Ferment until Specific Gravity is about 1.040. Strain out
      fruit and press. Syphon into carboys or jugs - with fermentation
      locks. Rack in three weeks. And again in 3 months. (If you are
      going to distill it forget about the 3 months - just wait until the
      SG goes down as far as possible - then clarify it. I use sparkeloid
      and it works fine!) But if you are going to use it for wine - when it
      is clear and stable bottle it. Add 1 anti-oxidant tablet per gallon
      when bottling to preserve colour and flavour.

      And trust me on this one - a simple pot still works better for making
      fruit schnapps than a sophisticated still - like a reflux. You will
      not get the high octane but you will preserve the fruit flavour. And
      please do not treat fruit-based schnapps with activated carbon. Just
      let Nature do Her work and wait patiently a month or so for it to
      age. I am sipping a glass of my apple schnapps as I write. I made it
      in early spring from apple juice that was on special at the
      supermarket. I am anxiously waiting for the abundance of fresh apples
      that Mother Nature will be providing in October.